FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Richard20Sailing View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Richard20Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?
    Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 6:14pm
I have just purchased an Mx-ray for blasting around. Smile The boat is in excellent original condition except for the toy grade rudder stock which has been replaced.

This 1998 promo video shows the boat off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHC9_GkeRQ but also demonstrates why una rigs with assy kites have not  taken off.

I want to use the boat in 20-28knots of wind and enjoy the down hill blast. The challenge will be not breaking the mast down wind and then getting the boat back up wind for another go. 

Any thoughts or experiences of this evolutionary cul-de-sac  would be appreciated. 
To many shackles are never enough.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 6:37pm
Just make sure you keep the main sheeted reasonably in so that the mainsail acts like a backstay for the mast.  

Edited by Doug.H - 14 Feb 12 at 7:19pm
themeaningoflife View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 8:06pm
Add shrouds directly across the boat (kind of perpendicular to the fore-aft line that would allow it to get back upwind, which was by far the hardest thing I found when I took one out in 15knts due to the huge amount of mast bend.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 9:18pm
This 1998 promo video shows the boat off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHC9_GkeRQ

Don't you love marketing videos!

"The ease of sailing sitting down"!

I'll bear that in mind next time I'm going upwind in a Laser in 20knts  Confused
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 6:13am
in answer to the question "MX Ray, what would you do with the rig?" is the correct answer... "find out if it can be used to start the fire required to burn the whole lot"?

not good boats IMO, why not get a cheapo low-rider moth if you want to go blasting and are small enough to fit in an MXRay?
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 8:20am
What number? I saw my old boat was up for sale the other day.

As for what to do with the rig, a few years Bach I did some designs for up grading the rig and what i came up with basically looks like what the RS100 is now using. Basically a spreader collar around the mast. You will need to slide it on the mast as you pass the mast up the luff sleave, having cut out a section of the sleave. You could then take shrouds to the deck, or maybe even just make diamond shrouds.

Best of luck with that, I'll be interested to see what happens.
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 9:03am
Originally posted by getafix

not good boats IMO

I have to agree. I was eagerly looking forward to a go in one when a decent example arrived at the club but was very disappointed when I tried it. 

The rig just doesn't work upwind and to be honest it wasn't that much fun off wind. Its a small kite that likes you to sail high, and with the mast bouncing around the kite keeps changing shape and wanting to collapse! 

Ian
RS300
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 12:08pm
How cheap are we talking here? At the right price it still looks like a bit of fun. Anything over couple of grand and I would say not a good purchase! Surely there are more fun boats out there? An old 300 even?
bferry View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote bferry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 12:34pm

Why not gather a load of MXs and recycle their mast for the 2012 Olympic pole vault event. Tongue

Bernard
Vareo 249
Miracle 2818
Malta
Richard20Sailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Richard20Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 5:47pm
Thank you for the wide  range of  comments.
1 Burn it/ use as a pole vault. Evil Smile
2 Do nothing to the rig but don't let the main out down wind.
3 Provide lateral support to the rig with simple stays at the mast foot. Thumbs Up
4 A complex spreader and 3 stay system like a moth.

I think I will start with simple lateral support stays from a collar above the spinny halyard. I hope this will reduce the kite changing shape as it bounces. 

The boat number is 1187. It was cheap £480. I know it is not a quality design but I have been coaching toppers for the last 2 years!  http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=164407773623202    (2 minute video for the rya I love sailing competition. It did not win  probably because my daughter called the Topper a plastic ironing board )

To many shackles are never enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>