FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Richard20Sailing View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Richard20Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?
    Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 11:26am
Took the ray out for a first sail on Sunday in Poole Harbour. 12k gusty Northerly. 

I was disappointed by the cop-pit. Gybing on your knees is not a good look. (ref 1.57minutes of the promo video.) The central "transmission tunnel" in the cop-pit stops you moving easily from side to side.
The rig was fine in these conditions and the hull has the stability of a pico.
 I do not think I will develop the rig as my knees will not take the move needed for a high speed smooth gybe. With out this this boat will not be fun for me.

However if I was going to develop the rig I would internally sleeve the the bottom of the mast with an old section of carbon wind surf mast and put lateral side stays on from the spinny take of point.
I would dump the 3 to 1 spinny launch system as it is unnecessary. Other wise it does its job.

The boat is complete (inc cover and trolley) and original except for an uprated rudder stock and shortly will be back on appolo duck.
To many shackles are never enough.
catmandoo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 12:16pm
thats how to sell a boat  Wink
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 6:59pm
Err... Give it a bit longer than one sail. I never found the technique for tack or gybing to be that uncomfortable. A bit sheet of pro grip will make all the difference.
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 7:09pm
N'ah dump it on the next fool... Hopefully you won't lose too much cash!
motionaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote motionaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 8:42pm
How about trying some knee pads?

TBH you sound like a Solo sailor. Wink
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 9:05pm
Er don't want to be Peter the Pedant, but er isn't it cock(s) that go in the pit.
bengrendon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bengrendon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 13 at 5:16pm
I have been using an MX Ray now for a few months and I have made some minor adjustments to the rig. Firstly I added a mast track to the mast which allowed for easier rigging. I have also raised the boom height by raising the clew about six inches. This means that the boat can be sailed a lot easier and it does not affect the performance hugely but it will inevitably have some affect.
Unfortunatly none of this things will resolve the main issue which is it goes up wind like a shovel ie it doesn't and the only way I can get it to point at all is by sitting as far forward as possible and burying the bow. 

It is for these reasons that I am selling and considering either doing a self build on a Farr 3.7 or buying a 2nd Hand EPS. Although in reality I would love a blaze but they are too pricey for me as the new rig developments have kept the resale value high.

If any has any suggestions of what they would recommend then feel free to post here
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 12:22pm
Surely self building a Farr will cost more than a Blaze when you add in the rig etc?
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 5:19pm
Depends on his much you think you can buy a competitive blaze and carbon rig to go on it for!
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 6:20pm
One of the advantages of building a boat is that you don't have to find all the money at once.

Edited by JimC - 01 Apr 13 at 6:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123