15 [10.27%]
68 [46.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ex laser View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So if it were down to us which Olympic boat
    Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 11:08pm
Aura gets my vote. it looked great!
tickel View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 8:58am
The thing tht worried me alittle about thr Aura was the way the racks curved away at the front. Very slippery. If you swung forward on deceleration there could be e real whoopps moment.

By the way, I did love the Farr 3.7. Old fashioned yes, but pleasingly simple. Just the job for smaller waters. Young Piers on the stand showed admirable and infectious enthusiasim. Let us hope that he still feels the same when he has epoxy in his hair!
tickel
Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by ham4sand

on the other hand i was loving the 900s aesthetics untill i realise it weighs 109kg or something all up, i mean wtf, its meant to be a skiff for light weights...... if i can build a sub 45kg hull, 12ft boat at 17 years old, surely RS, a huge boat builder, could build an ever so slightly longer one to a reasonable hull weight, say 65? 

According to the Y&Y test stats, the RS900 hull weight is 55kg ex wings - so in your target area?
Keith
29er 661 (with my daughters / nephew)
49er 688 (with Phil P)
RS200 968
Vortex (occasionally)
Laser 2049XX
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 6:24pm
The 900 looks a much bigger boat than the Aura or the 29erXX. Maybe the dark colour makes it look more substantial too. 55kg for a bare hull sounds pretty good though, bearing mind it is going to see some shock loads hitting waves at speed. To have a fragile boat would be wrong, it's about equal kit and testing the sailors, not pushing the limits of hull construction.
I thought those Aura rudder gantries would work as a brake in some conditions. Everyone else uses tube frame gantries for a reason. But with a clean sheet design, why not just have the waterline length?
I suspect a key decider will be the weight range of the females involved, it seems like a potential minefield with variations between continents?
ham4sand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Hector

Originally posted by ham4sand

on the other hand i was loving the 900s aesthetics untill i realise it weighs 109kg or something all up, i mean wtf, its meant to be a skiff for light weights...... if i can build a sub 45kg hull, 12ft boat at 17 years old, surely RS, a huge boat builder, could build an ever so slightly longer one to a reasonable hull weight, say 65? 

According to the Y&Y test stats, the RS900 hull weight is 55kg ex wings - so in your target area?
Many people at the show were saying it was 110kg all, upo, either the wings weigh a ton, or im just wrong.
I hope im wrong, its awesome
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 6:28pm
Yes John, but all up includes the rig, foils, controls etc. So if your hull is 45kg and this is 55kg, thats about right isn't it?
The rest of any difference must be in everything else - and I'm guessing that RS stiuff may be designed a little more robustly than Cherub rigs which may be a little close to the edge sometimes?

Keith
29er 661 (with my daughters / nephew)
49er 688 (with Phil P)
RS200 968
Vortex (occasionally)
Laser 2049XX
Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 7:33pm

I don't think it really matters which one that gets it now. If the Aura wins, the 900 will have a good market outside the Olympic circus and vice versa. In fact, ironically, the Olympic slot may be a bit niche compared to the market the boat that doesn't get selected, sort of think of an 800 replacement...

Light boats mean nothing if they are slow imho, why spend so much to save the weight and still be slow, bit of a red herron really. Reckon the AURA, 900 and FX will be considerably quicker than a Cherub, so does that extra weight really matter?  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 9:37pm
The man I spoke from RS said the 900 wouldn't go into production if it wasn't selected. Don't know about the other.
Does anyone know the vital stats for the Aura.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 11:09pm
RS have said all along that was the case
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Menace

Light boats mean nothing if they are slow imho

But most definitely not in mine. I just love the feel of light boats: its just a different game. The Arup boat will have a completely different feel to the long heavy things. Just a different game. Whether that's what they'll be looking for the games is another matter, but were I still fit enough and flexible enough that would be the one I'd shell out my cash for.

Lets face it, if all we wanted to do was to go a bit faster we'd sail multihulls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>