FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 10:14pm
Well that's is your opinion, from seeing the first lines of some recent contentious posts- totally justified, the renewal letters stank, were poorly thought out and all against a backdrop where most windsurfers were under the illusion the committee were looking into the pricing policies that might have reduced their bills- not increased them, removed parking requirements and demanded 4 sessions a year of bar duties/bog scrubbing in a clubhouse most couldn't care about...

If you go back pre-renewal letters, then there's no negativity or critique- quite the contrary there's contributions from beginners, seasoned sailors, muppets like me, training events with sam ross organised by onboard, piccies from MarkD and even some contributions from former? member, now pro sailor working for witchy in Fuerte.  FWIW- I have tried to split the recent politics crap up a bit with some lighthearted banter like this...

Regarding the email list- I'm not sure whether that's an official email list or not, is it managed by the committee or the office as part of their communication methods?  Mark isn't on the committee, for all intents and purposes, his list is personal address book and you can surely understand him being reluctant to canvass opinions from committee members who allegedly unanimously voted in the changes that have caused the furore in the first place- without any consultation with any members whatsoever.

Perhaps if you joined Facebook you could participate and help diffuse the recent 'negativity'- all views are welcome, even those of the committee!!!  

Looking forward to seeing you on the water, and sadly in it, as that's goes with the territory!

Edited by rogue - 29 Feb 12 at 10:25pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 8:42am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

... now I know the boat bit works,

LOL that made me laugh ....

How do you know it works? Have you sailed if across the wind range in various sea states single handed? Tested it against other dinghies?

It looks enormous and far to much for a single person to sail on a lumpy sea in 25 knots .... a job for the RNLI for sure...

... and as for that bow; poke that into some chop and half the sea will be down the chute, there is a reason Fireballs switched to bags decades ago.

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 9:33am
Originally posted by seamonkey

[

It looks enormous and far to much for a single person to sail on a lumpy sea in 25 knots .... a job for the RNLI for sure...

... and as for that bow; poke that into some chop and half the sea will be down the chute, there is a reason Fireballs switched to bags decades ago.

Well that will always be a womans viewpoint, things do tend to look a bit scary to girls sea monkey, but don't worry, I'll be fine. There is more chance of you winning the round sheppey in your Mirror, than the nose of the V twin submarining. That's why it is the length it is, so it can handle the wave length in the channel.
And what if it did clip the top off one, there's nowhere for the water to go, that chute isn't a hole into the bowels of some old scow like a fireball. You really have to pay more attention, spend less time at pilates and more sailing stuff if you want to play on forums with men who actually sail stuff other than a keyboard..
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 9:42am
When you have more experience you will know that any boat with a chute that takes a few big waves over the front will have water collecting in the sail that is made into the perfect funnel through the process of stowing by the downhaul patch; I predict you will need to burn a large number of drain holes in your downhaul patches ... but then you don't want to listen to a Mirror sailor.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 11:08am
Er why would you be sailing a following sea without the kite up lass? 

Not been on the sea much have you girl?

If you want to pick up potential weaknesses that might worry me, note the racks are 3.20mtrs wide and could dig in, they if anything are the more likely source of issues on the sea, not nose dives, it's got sufficient rocker to deal with that.

LOLHa you're going to love this...

I've just noticed the likely date for its sea baptism - Sunday April 1st that's the 1st weekend there will be rescue cover for club racing. LOL

Edited by G.R.F. - 01 Mar 12 at 11:13am
dics View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 11:43am

note the racks are 3.20mtrs wide
I've just noticed the likely date for its sea baptism - Sunday April 1st that's the 1st weekend there will be rescue cover for club racing. LOL

3.2m wide - what is the sail area?

I'm travelling back from Devon on 1st April but may get back in time to travel down to Hythe to see you take it out - depending on tides that day. Would love to see it in the flesh.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 11:51am
They claim (Laser Vortex) that the main is 10.5, and the jib, not sure what it comes off, either a 200 or maybe that K1, but it looks to be shy of 3 sqmtr, I haven't measured it. It all felt fine that day back in the summer down at Calshot, it also felt OK a week last sunday when again it was puffy, it was just last sunday when it was very light, that I felt distinctly undercanvassed. It takes a quite big gust for me even to be able to sit on the first rung of the racks, never mind sit on the canvas bit.

Which is why I shall be looking for furler systems to vary the size of the foresail at the show, trouble is what it may need in light winds could become an embarrassment in any sort of breeze.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 11:56am

Sometimes when sailing upwind on the sea waves have been known to come over the bow ...

With your design which looks much like the front of a topper all the water will be collecting in the sail Confused
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by seamonkey

Sometimes when sailing upwind on the sea waves have been known to come over the bow ...

With your design which looks much like the front of a topper all the water will be collecting in the sail Confused

It's ok, GRF is such a manly man he won't even notice hoisting an extra 20kg of water up with the spinnaker. Wink
Needs to sail more...
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 1:25pm
Well we'll have to beg to differ, or we could have fifty quid on it not being a problem.
Going upwind in waves is not the same dynamic as going down, going down the boat is driving into the back of a wave, going up wind the wave, often already broken has less pressure and drains away quickly especially as I said before, when there is nowhere for it to gather, which would require the loose cloth of the spinnaker to be supported in some way which it isn't it's a flat deck, get some help, therapy would be good, maybe a sex change, grow some balls, it stops you worrying about trivia.

Trust me, the boat has two achilles heels, one is the rack width, the other is the massive wetted surface in light air, then they were known issues from the off, but, just like a formula windsurf board or a hybrid, once the planing threshold is achieved it releases massively and skips over the water surface. This I know to be true because it's already been experienced, what I haven't as yet ascertained is wether flying a hull upwind in waves is going to be possible, because of the racks.

Edited by G.R.F. - 01 Mar 12 at 1:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>