FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March
    Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:47am
Well I'm glad the Aura sounds to how wowed the crowd a bit, because if a faux-clunker lipstick boat really is the 'best in show' then I'm glad I didn't waste a pass coming down.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:51am
Are you not familiar with the concept of "Concours d'Elegance"? It's a car  thing mainly. Obsessives gather together to have their meticulously polished vehicles judged on details. Doesn't matter if it's a horrible car, it's all about presentation. And, as they go, it's a very well finished and presented boat.
-_
Al
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 9:43am
Sounds like a pretentious, elitist crock of sh1te Al... sadly that doesn't surprise me with dinghies anymore.

Oddly enough if a 1950's original was so beautifully and sympathetically restored to wow the judges, the fair enough. But a lipstick class tart up with a cheque book... not impressed, sorry.

haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 11:23am
You are not easily pleased. So someone who has out his heart and soul into preparing a boat to outstanding standards doesn't deserve recognition??
I now can't tell if you are taking the pi@@ to be contentious or if your actually serious.
I recall seeing pictures of the cherub last year and it was a carbon marvel. Why not award something that is so good to look at???
I am dying to see pictures of the Aura as the initial shots I saw were outstanding and it sounds like its even better in the flesh.

Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
Jon711 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 12:00pm
Had a great day at the show yesterday.
David Henshalls talk on Jack Holt, was worth the admission fee itself...
Had a long chat with the designer of the Alto, and can now see what GRF likes about it (missed Graeme by ten minutes apparently)
X1 & X0 looked really good, first time I've had a chance to see one, had a long chat on that stand as well...
Couldn't really get my head around, the swing keel boat, but hey each to his own!
The Icon & Blaze looked fantastic....
Nice to catch up with old friends, and make some new ones!

All in all, a great show. Congratulations to everyone, for thier efforts...

Jon
Blaze 711
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 12:26pm
It simples... 

ISAF have put in place a situation where in Brazil, women will be competiting in a women's specific design, but of equal modern standing as the men.  This is good.  It celebrates an equal standing for women in the sport, whilst recognising physical differences.

The UK have the two most prolific designs from it's two most innovative mainstream builders.  The 900 and Aura are both awesome, it's great to see real competition between Ovis and RS and both companies seem passionate, commitment and more than capable.  Both companies have taken their toys to the dinghy exhibition for the viewing public to see... a perfect opportunity of the establishment to embrace both women in sailing, youth development and 21st century design... but no, they pick a lipstick class for tax avoidance consultants and solicitors.

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by rogue

Well I'm glad the Aura sounds to how wowed the crowd a bit, because if a faux-clunker lipstick boat really is the 'best in show' then I'm glad I didn't waste a pass coming down.

Trust me dude whatever the near dead, shiny wood mesmerised and charismatically challenged might have decided was best in show, it wasn't. The Aura was light years better than anything I've seen lately, some comic had fitted a polished wood deck to the chariot of the obese, I do so hope they were not seriously considering that, had the Aura not got it, the lad with the Mean Green Cherub had done a very tidy job, I'll try and fish out some pics I took later to illustrate the true things of beauty and fully justified for lightening up a show where the majority is old dross fit for the oven.

They are so out of touch they line the main entrance hallway with old tut, when you get there you think you've run into the back of a queue for the antiques roadshow, (it should be a queue for the local council incinerator, I had half a mind to report it for vermin infestation on the way out, all that woodworm.).

Anyway, it's a show with something for everyone even if there are a few to many survivors from an era that should be long forgotten but isn't.

Late edit: Doh I've just seen what they gave it to, the philistines, I saw that, thought it didn't look a patch on General Lee and gave it a wide bypass, like the death star, it was best avoided, as it was orbiting the  planet GP14, I feared I was seriously at risk of being sucked in by the tractor beam and having crude sexual experiments performed upon me by aliens. What are they on these people they not really all there are they?

Edited by G.R.F. - 04 Mar 12 at 12:34pm
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 2:46pm
Didn't understand the Concourse prize either but my favourite boat was the Merlin next to it - Shabazzle - for my must-have, that brilliant spinny pole launcher system that doesn't cost over 300 quid and also the smart shaped rear tank instead of catching yourself on bags. Oh and the canting rig which is clever too.
Is the current trend for grey or black boats with all grey lines something to do with the doom and gloom financial crisis taking the colour out of everything, even sport??
I can just imagine it out on the water:-
"Ease the grey line"..."No, the GREY one"..... "I SAID the GREY one - next to the grey one!".........."Nooooo not THAT grey one"...Splash!!

Jon711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 3:31pm
Pat, nice to see you and Sandy again, I did say to DH about the black one, but he was only interested in the wooden decked one (I use that term loosely, as it's veneers over carbon!). Spent some time on the GP stand, and what a cracking wooden boat, built to the latest spec that was...

Great show...

Jon
Blaze 711
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 4:40pm
Johnny, the crew and rigger of the black Merlin, reckons that he knows what the rope he's pulling does without looking at it.
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>