FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March
    Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 6:50am
(off topic) the D-1 wing bags seem a bit OTT- other wing boats tend to just slide the wings in, pad them a bit and tie them down. I've no idea how much the wings weigh, but I'm going to go with "not heavy".
-_
Al
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 9:13am
Have to admit, now that I have seen them both in the flesh, the Aura looks really modern and beautifully finished but the RS900 looks like the boat you would actually want to sail and own. Albeit, with my weight, as a singlehander. Good luck to both of them though I say. Rule Brittania.
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 9:17am
some things I really liked at this years' show...

Tubercle foils (Hornet stand) - this is really exciting stuff
Aura & RS900 - gorgeous build quality, nice to see some real effort being put in
X1 - got a good look this year, v.nice
Bowsprit on the i14 - awesome, whole boat was fab really
Jimmy Green for ropes (as usual!)
Crunchy Frog
Icon
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 9:22am
Originally posted by ex laser

its a very small minded view of the world that says just because somthing is new its good and interesting and that because something is old, its bad and boring.

good job that's not what I said then isn't it  Wink

RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 9:43am
I was surprised by the Merlin winning the award. I would have thought one of the new skiffs would have got the vote, but maybe there were too many new skiffy things splitting the vote? Of the two Merlins on the class stand, I'd have voted for the other one! Some real development and innovation in JT's boat. A really well enigeered rudder, innovative pole system, and a canting rig.
And a nice bit of varnish to give it a traditional appeal.
I was impressed by the RS900 in the flesh. It looks like a big step forward from the 800. I've no idea what Olympians think, but as a middle aged club sailor, the RS900 deck layout looks a lot easier for the crew to move from the foredeck to the wing as the wind puffs up. I hope that boat hits the market, but it's a bit of a race for it to become affordable secondhand before I'm too old to attempt sailing it.
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 10:06am
Originally posted by alstorer

(off topic) the D-1 wing bags seem a bit OTT- other wing boats tend to just slide the wings in, pad them a bit and tie them down. I've no idea how much the wings weigh, but I'm going to go with "not heavy".

They come as part if a cover package and IMHO are certainly not ott they protect both the wings and hull in transit and make the whole packing up much much easier. Why would old carpet and tape be any easier? It makes perfect sense to me?

ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 10:18am
Originally posted by rogue

Originally posted by ex laser

its a very small minded view of the world that says just because somthing is new its good and interesting and that because something is old, its bad and boring.

good job that's not what I said then isn't it  Wink

and if your quoted all my post, i talked about things being fit for purpose what ever the age of design.

and what you continue to post is that these older classes are not fit for THEIR  purpose.
while i believe alot of them are, whats why people still sail them!

and the merlin are one of these classes.

it does not matter a toss, what we post on forums. the only thing that matters is, do people like a boat enough to buy a new one, what ever the age of the design. end of story Wink

rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 10:30am
I haven't said it's not fit for purpose, I'm sure the tax avoidance consultants, solicitors, registrars and other class stereotypes love sailing them, christ knows why anyone would spend the sort of dollar they command if they didn't!!!

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 10:48am
Well I'm small, and also minded to say anything old is bad and boring, especially when 'sold' as a fine example of a sport I'm interested and involved in. Particularly when neophytes are forced wether young or old to continue the 'tradition' by old buffers who think they know best.

Whilst placing obstacles in the way of everything new and interesting with the old adage 'well it hasn't got a class so we don't sail it here' thereby forever consigning the sport to the margins of the charismatically challenged and those well versed in coffin avoidance.

The Merlin Rocket all the time it's a humorous 'send up' of itself by the modern materials chucked at it, is fine but it shouldn't be forgotten the fact, it still is an old and potentially dangerous craft for a number of reasons, not least those airbags that are supposed to be residual buoyancy, not to mention the dubious competence of  crews that often use it. Hence it should be confined to once a year use in the river nr Kingsbridge by drunkards posing as sailors as a good old laugh at what sailing used to be and that be an end to it.

Don't even start me off on what should happen to the GP14.

Edited by G.R.F. - 05 Mar 12 at 10:55am
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 10:50am
I loved the 900 and so did my girls. One thing though, why on earth did they use an alloy boom. Come on RS finish the package and make it an all carbon rig. Seems silly to have an old fashioned alloy boom on such a modern boat.

I was told it was for cost purposes as there is a price tag limit for the trials.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>