FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March
    Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 9:23am
Global Sailing... the other party in the bun fight over rights etc
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 9:35am
Originally posted by ham4sand

ill be there defending the cherub stand from tear gas attack

That'll save me having one go off in my pocket again  Wink LOL

So I shall be there saturday, doing my usual round of the Vortex stand, then the Alto, no doubt I'll run into ex windsurfers here and there, but my main task is re-examining or should I say exhumation of old wood rig systems, to have a look at adjustable stays, I'm coming round to the view that I want a variable front sail, maybe a furling jib/gennaker so anything that might assist that.

I'm also concerned that the foot length of the kite I have is all wrong so I'm going to have a look at the IC Assyms in more detail, now I know the boat bit works, I need to get a decent rig to shove it along, so I'm having a bit of a rethink and what better place to do it than at that show..

I shall go and ask dumbass questions at the D1 stand, have another look at the Supernova, I've come to enjoy sailing down our local lake this past couple of sunday mornings, but it's totally unsuitable for my long legged monster (I doubt it's even 5 acres), so I fancy some little knockabout that I can lock up and leave.

So lots to think about and look out for.

Edited by G.R.F. - 29 Feb 12 at 9:46am
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 10:00am
Originally posted by chrisg

That's nothing John. I'm taking my stab vest. I'll be helping Bas and Andy on the RYA stand, talking PY's most of the weekend....

you will have no problems with sailors and yardsticks, but i would keep the stab vest on just in case there are any draycote windsurfers about!!!!!! Wink LOL

Edited by ex laser - 29 Feb 12 at 10:01am
chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 11:19am
Duncan, I have windsurfed at Draycote for about the last ten years but I'm not allowed in "the gang" as I'm not on facebook.
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 12:57pm
Oddly enough, if you want to be in the offline gang, then you need to get your kit out from the back of the garage once in a while... I hope to join you once things are calmer with the new little one.

But you are very, very welcome to take part in the online gang chris (which I think is what you are referring to)- well it's hardly elitist- even Duncan's on there ;-) !!!  The Facebook page is open to all- members, non-members, equipment suppliers, coaches, friends of friends.....  

please check it out:

that's kind of the point- to spread the love a bit, keep people informed of what's going on and share stories and things after sailing; who knows it might even help retain some of the members by making them feel they are part of something rather than a second class citizens to the dinghy sailors as many currently do.  

If you want to take part in this small, informal aspect then you need to be on Facebook, the same way as you need your user ID to post on here, or an email address to receive emails or a telephone to make and receive calls.  If you don't want to join Facebook- fair enough, that's your call, but FYI, the security measures are fairly robust these days if you want a restricted account- it might not be as scary as you think. 

ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 1:14pm
[QUOTE=rogue]

But you are very, very welcome to take part in the online gang chris (which I think is what you are referring to)- well it's hardly elitist- even Duncan's on there ;-) !!!  The Facebook page is open to all- members, non-members, equipment suppliers, coaches, friends of friends.....  

please check it out:

its true chris, they even let me join!!!!!!!! Wink

and i have tried windsurfing in the past, and found it the most boring water sport ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Edited by ex laser - 29 Feb 12 at 1:16pm
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 1:32pm
I don't believe anyone needs to 'let anyone join'- follow and comment if you want, don't if you don't... free world n' all that.  Chris doesn't want to take part because he doesn't want to join facebook- fair enough, I knew people who said the same about email in the 90's.  But on a one-to-one, thanks for your contribution Duncan- external eyes help add context to discussion.

Windsurfing can be very frustrating initially- and if you can already sail a dinghy then I can see why you'd find it boring.  I've got a mate who's a very good skier, she decided to board one year and get lessons... after a day on her arse on the baby slopes she realised she only had a limited amount of time in the mountains, so took the board back and hired some skis to join the rest of us.  

I wouldn't try and persuade you to give windsurfing another shot, anymore than I'd tell her to stick with boarding... choose your own toys, enjoy it- that's all that matters.
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by rogue

I don't believe anyone needs to 'let anyone join'- follow and comment if you want, don't if you don't... free world n' all that.  Chris doesn't want to take part because he doesn't want to join facebook- fair enough, I knew people who said the same about email in the 90's.  But on a one-to-one, thanks for your contribution Duncan- external eyes help add context to discussion.

Windsurfing can be very frustrating initially- and if you can already sail a dinghy then I can see why you'd find it boring.  I've got a mate who's a very good skier, she decided to board one year and get lessons... after a day on her arse on the baby slopes she realised she only had a limited amount of time in the mountains, so took the board back and hired some skis to join the rest of us.  

I wouldn't try and persuade you to give windsurfing another shot, anymore than I'd tell her to stick with boarding... choose your own toys, enjoy it- that's all that matters.

cheers james, always try to be positive on it. i do not even sail at draycote( or even like windsurfing), so its not my place to tell you what do or how to do it,  but i do know chris and stu, so am hopeful some compromise can be reached.

i try and save my stupid opinions, snide coments and general bile for this forum!!!!!!!!!! LOL
x1testpilot View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote x1testpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 2:56pm
Chris has just announced the X0 (see dinghy forum and www.X0dinghy.co.uk ) Come and see us at the X1 stand and find out more.
I like to take pictures of sailing, but I'd rather be sailing!
LCSC.org.uk
Xdinghies.com/ X0 & X1
chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by rogue

Oddly enough, if you want to be in the offline gang, then you need to get your kit out from the back of the garage once in a while... I hope to join you once things are calmer with the new little one.

please check it out:

that's kind of the point- to spread the love a bit, keep people informed of what's going on and share stories and things after sailing; who knows it might even help retain some of the members by making them feel they are part of something rather than a second class citizens to the dinghy sailors as many currently do.  

If you want to take part in this small, informal aspect then you need to be on Facebook, the same way as you need your user ID to post on here, or an email address to receive emails or a telephone to make and receive calls.  If you don't want to join Facebook- fair enough, that's your call, but FYI, the security measures are fairly robust these days if you want a restricted account- it might not be as scary as you think. 

Thanks for that James, believe it or not I did actually windsurf last year, and quite a few times. Not gonna do it in the cold water though at the mo as I WILL fall in.
Yes, not being on facebook is my choice, but i'd asked Mark to add me to the windsurf mailing list long before the facebook page was in existence and nothing ever came of that.
While I can only see the first thread of each sort of conversation thing (no idea how facebook works) as I can't login, it seems from the outside that that site was set up to do anything but spread the love....

Edited by chrisg - 29 Feb 12 at 4:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>