FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March
    Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 1:30pm
what... use a pass to travel miles to stand around and talk about sailing rather than actually doing any?  F*ck that, it sounds like knowingly driving to an open meeting when there's guaranteed no wind! 
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 1:36pm
its a bit like spending hours on line talking about sailing instead of doing it!!!!!!!! Wink

but at least at the show you talk to people not trolls! Big smile

Edited by ex laser - 31 Jan 12 at 1:38pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by rogue

to stand around and talk about sailing rather than actually doing any?

Well, you're the guy who appeared to me to say that the best bit about college sailing was getting the booze down your throat in the evening rather than sailing during the day.
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by rogue

to stand around and talk about sailing rather than actually doing any?

Well, you're the guy who appeared to me to say that the best bit about college sailing was getting the booze down your throat in the evening rather than sailing during the day.

to be fair Jim-- Laser 2's without the kite and trap... the pure sailing experience isn't exactly great, but throw into the mix teams, camaraderie, interesting applications of tactics and rules, it's all muscle on the backbone of a first rate university social scene... the lash, as it I actually referred to it as, is a lot more than how many units you can consume. 
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ex laser

its a bit like spending hours on line talking about sailing instead of doing it!!!!!!!! Wink

I'd love to say if I could be out on the water right now rather than here, behind a desk with various browser screens open.  But I just looked out of the window; there's no wind and it's fecking cold, so I'd be lying....
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 12 at 5:20pm
What would you say is the best bit about this years show? I have never been so I want to make the most out of this one, a few of my already priority to visit are, David's talk, Farr 3.7 stand, ic stand, and moth stand. These are the things I most want to see right now, but what else would you really say are really worth seeing?
Vintage skol moth 3438
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 12 at 6:07pm
The Holt exhibition will be worth a visit, and there will probebly be Olympians around - 4 shows ago my son got various autographs, including BA's, and my wife had a nice time chatting up the 49er boys...(she didn't put it like that!)
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 12 at 7:06pm
Who is on the holt stand? I seem to remember reading that Pat was on it?

Edited by Max McCarthy - 01 Feb 12 at 7:07pm
Vintage skol moth 3438
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 12 at 8:10pm
I love going, you meet folk you haven't seen for a bit, see new boats and buy them, chuckle at the antiques roadshow, ignore anything the RYA or squad thousand yard starers have to say or offer, each year get to realise a little bit more what all the ropes on a five oh are for, look at the canoes, the contenders, check out the stick insects, say hello to the RS and D1 folk, drop a tear gas bomb on the cherub stand, visit the Luddites on the blaze stand and wonder how things could have been so different in this dimension, drink crap tea, eat a crap snack, waste money on expensive hiking bondage aids and leave, buying a bird stand from the garden centre you parked in for free.

Everyone has their own show, all the dinghy world is there, it's different things to different folk, this year I shall be studying blocks and rigging systems in a bit more depth and no doubt spending more cash I shouldn't.
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Max McCarthy

What would you say is the best bit about this years show? I have never been so I want to make the most out of this one, a few of my already priority to visit are, David's talk, Farr 3.7 stand, ic stand, and moth stand. These are the things I most want to see right now, but what else would you really say are really worth seeing?

Everybody will have certain stands they "want" to see, and talks they "want" to hear, but I would suggest you keep an open mind about the show...

It's small enough that you can hope to see everything, yet big enough that unless you don't go round a second time you will find you've missed some gems.

Its amazing how some great ideas come from some of the most unlikely sources, so make time to look at all the stands and chat to as many people as possible. I always take a camera as I forget half of what I've seen before I even get home.

I always find I end up meeting people I haven't seen for years, but thats one of the great things about sailing, you can pick up exactly where you left off when you last bumped into each other..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>