FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arse dangling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kev M View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arse dangling
    Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 10:27am
Being new to sailing I've got plenty of questions, most of them stupid, so here's the first of today's.

Why do some people dangle their arse over and down the side or a dinghy (such as a laser), is there a performance gain to be had?

Apart from damage it does your knees surely it must make it more difficult to get back into the boat than if you had your weight the same distance from the center point but higher up?

Cheers,
Kev
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 11:23am
This is just poor technique and often called poo hiking.
Kev M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:10pm
Ah, so it's a habit I don't want to fall into then.  Cheers.
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:34pm
Styles come and go.  Pre Laser days it was common to drop down the side of the boat and hike with the thigh against the outside of the boat.  This requires a lot more freeboard than the Laser's got, and is only any good at sea where the wind isn't going to be shifting a lot as its difficult to get back in the boat again.  Lasers haven't got enough freeboard for this and it was soon found that 'straight leg' hiking got your body further outboard.  This technique is now much more common on all boats, even where the cockpit depth means the legs are still very bent at the knee.  Dropping your arse further down just means your legs are becoming tired, or your toe straps are getting loose!  I usually tack when my legs get too tired!
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, GK29
Warsash
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:36pm
You have a blaze - you don't want to be in the habit of hiking out  Tongue

Kidding.  I think most blazes have their toe straps too far inboard to get a drop hike, they more or less encourage a straighter leg technique.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:38pm
Pre Laser days it was common to drop down the outside of the boat so your thigh was against the topside.  It was reasonably comfortable but difficult to get back in the boat again, so only really any good at sea when the wind was steadier. There's not enough freeboard to do this on a Laser and it was soon found that 'straight leg' hiking got your body further outboard.  This technique is now more common on all boats and arse dangling proabaly means your legs are getting tired or the toestrap's too lose.  I usually tack when my legs are getting tired!
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, GK29
Warsash
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 1:56pm
knee wrecking sh1t-boxes...
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by rogue

knee wrecking sh1t-boxes...

its getting very boring now Wink

you do not have to post this every time someone posts the word l***r!!!!!!! LOL
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by PeterV

I usually tack when my legs are getting tired!

Brilliant tactician!
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:09pm
That arse danglng technique should be banned,  what's the rule no, is it 69 (should be) ungentlemanly conduct, bringing the sport into disrepute.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>