FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

London Boat Show- how much longer can it go on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Boat Show- how much longer can it go on?
    Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 1:23pm

Massively downsized. forced to share with three other shows- presumably it wouldn't be worth Excel opening without them, and even together still smaller than the boat show of old. Dinghy sailing interest almost completely expunged. With banking bonuses trimmed back a bit, the market for big ugly motorcruisers must be feeling some pain. How many more years can it survive?

(anyone going? As you can guess, I'm not...)

-_
Al
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 2:18pm
no, not this year; it's a joke show these days... more about aspirational lifestyles for uber-rich rather than a celebration of sailing in its various guises.

Excel's a joke, even in the industry I'm in, the main exhibition is boycotting Excel and going to Frankfurt.

This says it all....

http://www.dickies.co.uk/notice-board/beneteau-decide-not-to-exhibit-at-2012-london-boat-show-
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 7:40pm
bloody hell, hadn't realised they weren't going. That's huge!
-_
Al
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 7:44pm
yep- and more to the point their dealers aren't going either, their dealer network is a fundamental entry point for a lot of would-be yotties imo....
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 7:49pm
I doubt it's going to be much longer to be honest. It was a bit rubbish last year, full of boring gin palaces, arsey salesmen and things totally unrelated to boating. I think I saw a shower cubicle at one stage...? God, if Beneteau aren't going it's not a good sign. I'm only going this year because KeyYachting gave us 4 'special guest' tickets for free :) If my dad wasn't planning on going then I definitely wouldn't bother, it isn't worth all the hassle of waiting around the Foyer of Excel all morning asking people who look vaguely nice to pretend to be my parents so I can actually get in.

Edited by Mister Nick - 04 Jan 12 at 7:50pm
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 9:02pm
Well we're looking forward to it from a bike show perspective it was very successfully for us last year, but then were not offering over priced junk with zero customer service and an aeon to wait for it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 12 at 9:24pm
It is very telling when the biggest boat builder of them all doesn't go. The real problem is the price of the venue. My old company spent £200k, allegedly, on a stand at Excel last autumn. You've got to sell a lot of stuff to make that worthwhile!
Riki @ RS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riki @ RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 1:43pm
Its worth noting to dinghy sailors that RS Sailing won't be at the London Show either (nearly as high profile as Beneteau  LOL). Without wishing to be their spokesperson, I gather that Laser Performance or Topper will not be exhibiting either.

In recent years the high cost of exhibiting at Excel in proportion to the number of visiting dinghy sailors has made this show a really tough choice. We'll still be offering our usual early season deals  www.rssailing.com/showoffers along with an Open weekend at our new HQ in Romsey near Southampton where we'll have the range in the showroom, including the first public showing of the RS900. There'll also be clothing and accessory deals, a repair workshop, used boats and more - weekend of 14th/15th January. Sam is brushing his hair and Paul is cleaning his shoes specially so we hope you fancy popping in.

We remain committed to the Dinghy Show, Southampton Boat Show and in fact RS is represented at more than 20 boat shows a year worldwide.

Riki Hooker
Sales Director, RS Sailing
www.rssailing.com
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 2:58pm
Sorry, I did forget that I'd seen your announcement that you weren't going- interesting that your biggest comeption aren't either.

-_
Al
JonathanK156 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JonathanK156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 10:56pm
Oh Dear, what a terrible show.  When the show left Earls Court it lost its soul and became a spiritless shadow of the Boat show.  I went last about 5 years ago and promised never to go again.  I went this year and stayed just over an hour.  It was embarrassing that a foreign visitor might travel to see that disgrace. When will the organisers realise the SHOW should entertain, and have boats to see.  There needs to be boats of all types and lots of them.  It used to take a day to see the show - not just and hour.  I am just not surprised the show is failing as no-one wants to waste their time travelling to see such a poor show.  It is probably time to cancel the London Boat Show for good.
Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>