FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Ginge View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why?
    Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 10:44pm
What exactly is wrong with it?
Laser
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 11:02pm
heavy rig
under-powered sails
metal foils
bolt on kite as a retrofit was always going to be a compromise
too short in waterline
curved sides where your feet are supposed to go
+ it's too northern, in fact I don't think any were sold south of Derbyshire on principle

... sorry but the list goes on.
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 11:05pm
There is one which occasionally sails at Bartley Sailing Club, in the West Midlands, south of Derbyshire I believe.
Vintage skol moth 3438
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 11:53pm
grey import
iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 12:08am
Originally posted by rogue

+ it's too northern, in fact I don't think any were sold south of Derbyshire on principle 

Hi Ginge,

I have never sailed a Vortex but I race against them every week at my club.  Although my club has had the largest fleets of Vortexes in the country, since it was introduced in 2000, it is wrong for people to say they are mainly sailed in the north.

There have been small fleets at a number of clubs, all over the country, and many clubs that have, or have had, one or more members who sail them. 

The clubs include Yorkshire Dales, Filey, Wilsonian, Brightlingsea, Deben, Grafham, N. Herts., Draycote Water, Brampton, Burghfield, Calshot, Stokes Bay, Babbacombe, Bristol Corinthian, Poole, Alton, Teignmouth, Stone, Weston, Lymington Town, Spinnaker, Exe, Starcross, Bewl, Hayling Island, Gunfleet, Chase, Royal Corinthian, Glasgow, Chew Valley, Beaver, Glossop, Bough Beech, Queen Mary, Warsash, Glasson, Bexhill, Aberdeen, Sunderland, Pennine and Bala, just to name a few that I am aware of.

There have been about thirty members of my club who have sailed Vortexes, since 2000 and they have sailed a similar number of boats (some sailors have owned as many as three, at different times, and some boats have gone from the club, and then returned with new owners. Other boats have changed hands between club members).  Our current Vortex fleet is about eleven or twelve and nearly all have kites since they were introduced in about 2004/5.

The sail numbers started at about 1000 in year 2000, and reached about 1226 by about 2004/5, when Laser ceased production of the boat.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Edited by iansmithofotley - 09 Jan 12 at 12:09am
Ginge View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 5:26pm
There's no such thing as 'too northern'
I'm hoping to come up to Grimwith this month as at beaver it's not far. You can hardly say beaver has a fleet of them with the last one being on the water more than a year ago ;)...
Laser
tez7431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tez7431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 6:46pm
Hi Ginge,
It sounds like you've set your sights on a vortex. Id personally take no notice at all to what ROGUE has to say. He doesn't have a clue about the vortex at all. His reply/comments are just a stir up. At YDSC, the vortex has won probably 90% of all races. In a force 4 wind you cant say its heavy and has no power in the sails as it will clock up 9 kts on the beat. 16 to 20 down wind with the kite up. You're very welcome to come to Yorkshire Dales SC and try our demo boat. If your use to trapezing we will get you out in one of the asy boats where you will have a  grin from ear to ear.
Terry

Edited by tez7431 - 09 Jan 12 at 7:00pm
Ginge View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 6:55pm
Erm... Is it just me or is it blank?
Laser
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 7:16pm
Listen to Rogue everything he says is true, and it's been redesigned recently to work better...
Here's a pic of me sailing the new version, the V2 comes with a jib now.

Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 7:27pm
How much Graeme, can you beat £8k? How far is the Vtwin off a fireball?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>