FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Musto skiff and Rs700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Wrighty View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 12 at 11:26pm
Congrats, I have both boats and both are great, shame we had to wait so long for so much fun, the Musto would take off a lot quicker if the money was not a problem in the world at the moment.
   The standard in the musto is still moving on, also in the 700 fleet. my advice is not to try and learn on you own. Come to Rutland with you boat on the 21/22 Jan, or without your boat if its cold and we will help you and save lots of time in the water. the key is to use lots of downhaul and keep off the bars untill the summer. if you come to Rutland without your boat you will not have to pay, we have an endeavor winner taking part or may be two not sure yet,  you will save lots of time and I will give you a one on one run throught the boat with all the tips that most people fall down on.
  see   Mustoskiff.com check the forum or come anytime to rutland or any club with a fleet, stokes bay, Datchet and ask around they all will help for sure.
Chris

Edited by Wrighty - 02 Jan 12 at 11:57pm
Wrighty
Wrighty View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 12 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by NickA

PM "Wrighty" he has both and sails both at my club.

He told me, under similar situations:

RS700 cheaper.
MPS much stronger (he doesn't sail his RS700 if it's dogs off chains weather)
MPS better for lighter people
RS700 good for heavier people
Decent RS700 fleet at our club, only a couple of MPS
RS700 more like a normal boat, ie you can sit down and there's somewhere for your feet.

Personally I'm still undecided and continuing to s/h my V3000 instead.  The MPS just looks a much cleaner and somewhat better designed boat to me - but spensive!! Ouch.

Wrighty if you read this and I've got it wrong, tell me and I'll remove :) 
 Happy new Year Nick, my water dance worked.
  I will stand by Nick A post, good post and fair post. Answer to above.

RS700 cheaper. = think you will all agree lots for 2 or 3 grand

MPS much stronger (he doesn't sail his RS700 if it's dogs off chains weather) = 
                             The MPS has a smaller sail area so therefore stonger per foot of sail area.
  Why would you take out a boat with more sail area then one with a smaller area in a force 5-6 if you have a choice of two boats at the same club, The 700 has never failed on me in a blow and Pete just goes out in his in a gale and gets away with it time after time, I have only a rag or new sail for the RS700 and a better choice for the Musto, so musto is the choice in the above situation at Carsinton, I get a lot of stick and get called a wimp from Pete and Richard, bless them.

MPS better for lighter people
  Yes its got less sail area

RS700 good for heavier people
  Yes it has a bigger sail area and is very good with big sailors also musto holds heavier sailors  Sten World Champ, nice chap very helpfull and one reason the Musto took off Sten hard work , Also Paul, Thanks both.

Decent RS700 fleet at our club, only a couple of MPS
        9 RS700 at Carsington

RS700 more like a normal boat, ie you can sit down and there's somewhere for your feet.
         Agree

Edited by Wrighty - 03 Jan 12 at 12:56am
Wrighty
Wrighty View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 12:18am
  The Musto and RS700 both are lightweight boats, I am 85kg and would like to be 75kg, the skill level just keeps getting better, NO its not that simple, once you get the hang of it you just foot off and go faster in the stronge winds, I now find it harder work in the laser1 in a blow than the 700 or Musto, in the Musto and RS700 you just hang by the wire, foot off in the gusts and just go faster, sorry to sound so matter of fact, but have you seen them on the pushbikes or motorcross doing flips, I am not that clever and could never get that good,if I can do it then any sailor with effort will with time, it just time in the boat, you can all do it, just takes time. Sorry to go on I had to post to reply to Nick A post.
Inlands this year at Grafham this year, I went wrong way up the beat and got hammerd, its not about keeping it upright any more, the game has moved on, very tactical now.
   Happy new year all, Happy sailing in all boats.
  Why sail a Musto or RS700, When you are 70 and stuck at home all day, you will wish you had put a little bit  more effort in, it must be the job I did, if you look long enough you will find a way and make it work.
 I made it in the end and my knees are fine sailing them as well, too old for the laser1 now. 
  That me done on the subject, sailing is just fun and forums just keep going pair shaped unless its kept light?
     Chris

Edited by Wrighty - 03 Jan 12 at 2:25am
Wrighty
popeye_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote popeye_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 10:24am
Wrighty. If you had the same amount of 700 and mustos at your club and you had to pick between the 2, which one would you sell?
RS400, RS600, RS700, RS800, Int Moth, Laser. Musto Skiff (current)
Wrighty View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 3:49pm
Its not that simple, We have the loss of secondhand boats to France/Europe all the time both the 700 and Musto and the new boats are 10 grand so we have a boat shortage of boats unless you are rich and have 10 grand in you pocket.
   The price of the sailes would be a factor at some point, we had a 20% off a Musto main sail deal for the nationals, that was good for the Musto class, The seven might follow the 300 class at some point and have a set of sails for under a grand? that would help the class.
   Clubs change and people move on, you would have to guess at the fleet at your club in two years time?  It it more of a problem with people asking me," why two boats", whatever happens I have both so donot have to forcast, just sail and have fun with both great fleets, they are the same people, sailors.

Edited by Wrighty - 03 Jan 12 at 3:54pm
Wrighty
popeye_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote popeye_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 4:11pm
I was meaning on solely which boat in your opinion is better and you had to choose on that factor alone. 
RS400, RS600, RS700, RS800, Int Moth, Laser. Musto Skiff (current)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567