FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do i fly a hull?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do i fly a hull?
    Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 11:42am
~Ive recently bought a Dart 15 as my 'fun' second boat to have a blast in.
I'm getting a bit braver and letting the windward hull come up a little, but what's the technique to keep it flying once it comes up?
Is it all just about the mainsheet and playing that? ....or is there a little more to it?
I'm having great fun with this boat and am aiming to be able to at least look cool by the time the Winter-Hibernator sailors come out again in April LOL

I'll probably drop more questions along the way as i learn more.
Not looking to race it (other than the odd club event now and again) just more for a blast with my girlfriend/friends etc.

Cheers
Lee.

Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
Wee Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 12:21pm
I've never sailed a Dart 15, I'm sure other here are more knowledgeable on the particular techniques for that boat but:

As you lift the hull the boat should accelerate due to reduction in drag, thus the apparent wind will move forward so as the hull lifts you should sheet in a little. Try to keep the hull no more than a couple of inches above the water, too high is not fast.

Unfortunately I don't think Dart 15s fly a hull downwind so you're missing out on the best fun Wink, enjoy it anyway.
stewart smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote stewart smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 1:52pm
A Sprint 15 is underpowered compared to most cats inthe uk. This makes them great as a starter boat and there is an active and friendly class assocation which will encourage to start racing and stay with the class. Howevever if you want to fly a hull, take mate for a blast, or trapeze. You should consider moving on to a bigger, more modern cat. Some of these can be found quite cheep. If you do buy a cheep boat, sail it first to check all the bits are with the boat and if possible take a mate when you view the boat to stop you getting carried away.
Stewart Smith
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 3:01pm
Don't tempt him! Lee will be dangerous enough as is...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 4:02pm
Oh Rupert...how rude sir! LOL  ..... the boat isn't pink though - ive had to invest in a whole new sailing wardrobe now! (All the Gear booked into BM by the way)

Single-Handed trapezing.....yep, that's another reason i bought it. That and the fact that the greater half can assist with Pimms O'Clock from the trampoline in the summer.

Thanks for the advice this far, more than happy to read as much as anyone wishes to impart.
Ive tried to get a response from the Sprint15 forum, but no reply to my login request.

Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 11 at 6:28pm
Sprint Bob on here is a dart 15 regular.... he'll be along shortly
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 18 at 9:34am
You don't say what you sailed before - if it was a mono dinghy, beware. You will probably have developed an instinct to luff when overpowered. If you do that in a multi it's the quickest route to a capsize (which will inevitably be 180°) especially when reaching. There was a famous incident of a 60 ft tri doing that in mid-Atlantic.
One hull good, two hulls better.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 18 at 2:38pm
Keeping it flying is down to a mix of rudder and mainsheet, primarily rudder.
If you lift to high luff slightly, and if you drop bear away, but it's very fine control.

D15 windward hull needs to be just touching the water. Any higher and they start going sideways, and any lower is slow.

OK 2129
RS200 411
marwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 20 at 8:10am
Hull flying a large cruising catamaran is a really bad idea and is surely one of the best ways to invite a serious accident. In the context of offshore cruising the paramedics will NOT be coming to save your sorry wet ass. And the boat, which costs orders of magnitude more than any car, is likely to be a total loss. If your idea of wholesome gambling includes Russian roulette maybe you ARE a candidate for a catamaran "optimized" for hull flying!
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 21 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by craiggo

Keeping it flying is down to a mix of rudder and mainsheet, primarily rudder.
If you lift to high luff slightly, and if you drop bear away, but it's very fine control.

D15 windward hull needs to be just touching the water. Any higher and they start going sideways, and any lower is slow.

Disagree with the rudder movement; they and avoid using the rudders if possible; it's all down to playing the mainsheet.  

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
 Post Reply Post Reply