FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
robinft View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser setup
    Posted: 06 Dec 11 at 12:11pm
Laser number 9
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 3:57pm

Just setting up an old Laser for the kids so simplicity and reliability are key.

The missus' Radial has the metal sleeve which is great for convenience but sticks, so I thought I would be clever and bought the Harken ring thingy with 16mm block and a standard velcro strap, thinking in my naivety that they would just clip together.
Has anyone done this successfully and if so a photo would be most kind.
Thanks
Tim, Contender 622
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 4:10pm
Hi Tim,

I did experiment with putting the hooke on to the velcro strap when I first upgraded my boat to the new rigging.

I found this did not work well at all and the strap and hook need to go through the clew eye separately in order to keep the clew in the correct place in relation to the boom.

If the clew sleeve works on the other rig then keep it. These are a bit of a marmite part though.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 5:03pm
Marmite?

Thanks Paul,
Stupid thing is the strap and Harken ring together cost me 3 quid more than the full Harken sleeve, probably should have gone that route in hindsight, we are used to spraying Topper booms anyway.

If the strap and Harken loop both have to pass through the clew, then what's the point of the loop? ($$)

Just to clarify, this is the hook/loop thingy I have:

Cheers
Tim
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 5:32pm
Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

I recall a convo with Jon E when the Metal sleeve hook thing came out, they advised the Laser audience that they were not worth it as they do tend to stick.

What I did was used the velcro strap, pulled the whole thing through the clew eye then tied it off. The hook block then was attached separately. I used to have the older holt setup not the harken one.

I'd suggest if possibly trying to find a local Laser club or circuit event and seeing how others do it, each to there own.

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 8:23pm
I think you are confused.  You do not use the harken ring and the clew strap together. Its an either,or, thing. If you use the harken metal strap it has the block and hook attached to it. If you use the strap you still have to have the block and the outhaul primary line seperate.  If you use the strap you use a hook style block, the best one is the old holt one, at least i think so, i dont really trust the bent harken hook.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 10:24pm
Someone tried the sleeve at our club, where we launch of the beach. He ditched it after one trial, all you need is a few grains of sand to get washed in when you launch and it jams. 
I use a velcro strap with a teflon or similar pad stitched to it so it slides a bit better, seems to work for me (plus some silicon spray) - can't remember where I got it from though.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 12 at 10:33am
[QUOTE=laser193713] You do not use the harken ring and the clew strap together. Its an either,or, thing.QUOTE]
So why is the hook supplied without the sleeve?

What about the hook and an old skool Dyneema loop in place of the strap?
I understand about the holt hook block, got them on the Toppers and yes they seem solid.

Cont 707, isn't that Dives's old battleaxe? You must be ESSC than Peter.

Tim Cont 622 (PBSC)
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 12 at 10:51am
The hook is supplied because it is not the only thing harken use it for. The reason not to use dyneema is that it is really important to get the clew down tight to the boom. Without this you lose leach tension and pointing suffers. Trying to undo a tight dyneema knot with cold fingers at the end of a winter training session is my idea of hell! A nice bit of velcro makes this much easier! Theres you're reason!
deadrock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 12 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by laser193713

I think you are confused.  You do not use the harken ring and the clew strap together. Its an either,or, thing. If you use the harken metal strap it has the block and hook attached to it. If you use the strap you still have to have the block and the outhaul primary line seperate.  If you use the strap you use a hook style block, the best one is the old holt one, at least i think so, i dont really trust the bent harken hook.

193713 is entirely right when he says: "It's an either/or thing." The ILCA Rule 3(g)(i)) states:
"The clew of the sail shall be attached to the boom by either a tie line or a webbing strap with or without  fastening device wrapped around the boom and through the sail cringle, a quick release system attached to a tie line or soft strap wrapped around the boom, or a "Builder Supplied" stainless steel boom slide with quick release system. An additional outhaul extension tie line may be added between the clew of the sail and the outhaul or the quick release system."

In other words, you are allowed one system and one system only. You are not allowed a redundant back-up. The final sentence is to allow a Radial sailor to use the same outhaul system with a 4.7 sail without re-jigging the entire system.

In 35 years of Laser sailing the velcro strap has been one of the most effective innovations allowed on the boat, and certainly the most cost-effective. Keep the fluff of the hooky side of the velcro and it'll last longer.

UK Laser Association Measurer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>