FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asymmetical Spinnaker Douse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kurio99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kurio99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymmetical Spinnaker Douse
    Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 1:26pm
Still showing my colossal ignorance on the matter, does it matter whether the retrieval line is at the inside of the sail or hanging off the outside during an asymmetical sail dousing? 
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by kurio99

Still showing my colossal ignorance on the matter, does it matter whether the retrieval line is at the inside of the sail or hanging off the outside during an asymmetical sail dousing? 

It all depends on what side of the spinnaker the retrieval patches are.
Needs to sail more...
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 1:34pm
No, it shouldn't you should be able to douse to a launcher (even if behind the forestay) on both port and starboard.
-_
Al
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 1:37pm
Asymmetrics don't have an inside or outside. 
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 1:44pm
It will be on the outside on one gybe, and the inside on the other so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference... Normally, as Tom says, the setup of the patches on the kite means you don't have a choice anyway. I think if the sail did give me a choice I might be tempted to have the retrieve on the inside on port gybe because the loose string length on the downhaul is probably more even like that.
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 4:42pm
Nope, it shouldn't matter, although having it hanging off the inside of the sail does make for a slightly smoother drop. You're always going to have the retrieval line on the inside or the outside on either gybe so it's not really something you can avoid. It should work fine both ways.

It's a good idea to have a look at the course (if you're racing) before you rig the spinnaker and then set up accordingly for the easiest hoists/drops. IE. If it's windward leeward racing then you should either set up for a port hoist with the retrieval line on the inside to make the hoist smoother or set up with the retrieval line on the inside on the gybe you plan to drop the kite on to make the douse smoother.

Edited by Mister Nick - 17 Nov 11 at 9:13pm
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Mister Nick

Nope, it shouldn't matter, although having it hanging off the inside of the sail does make for a slightly smoother drop. You're always going to have the retrieval line on the inside or the outside on either gybe so it's not really something you can avoid. It should work fine both ways.

It's a good idea to have a look at the course (if you're racing) before you rig the spinnaker and then set up accordingly for the easiest hoists and drops (IE. If it's windward leeward racing then you should set up for a port hoist with the retrieval line set up to be inside on whichever gybe you plan to drop the kite on, based on your tactics).
That's not possible... you can only set it up one way (if i understand what you're trying to say) I.e. the patches are always on the same side of the kite. You would need to have patches on both sides of the kite to have a preffered side

Alex
ham4sand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 8:07pm
I disagree....I find it better when the line is on the outside for your racing drops (normally port for me) as the kite drops onto the foredeck more rather than going for a swim
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
Mister Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by AlexM

Originally posted by Mister Nick

It's a good idea to have a look at the course (if you're racing) before you rig the spinnaker and then set up accordingly for the easiest hoists and drops (IE. If it's windward leeward racing then you should set up for a port hoist with the retrieval line set up to be inside on whichever gybe you plan to drop the kite on, based on your tactics).
That's not possible... you can only set it up one way (if i understand what you're trying to say) I.e. the patches are always on the same side of the kite. You would need to have patches on both sides of the kite to have a preffered side

Alex

Damn, good point... >_< changed it. Thanks :P

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by AlexM

You would need to have patches on both sides of the kite to have a preffered side

Not necessarily. Its not that uncommon just to have eyes in the patches, in which case the kite can be rigged from either side
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>