FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AndyBatGWSC View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AndyBatGWSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section
    Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 11:00pm
A new Radial Cut Standard Sail and a carbon top section are under test in the USA and might be available in late 2012 or 2013.   Smile

The full report and pictures can be found at http://claysails.com/node/392
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 11:17pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 9:11am
To be fair, as pointed out in these articles, the sail has been under development for a number of years (I first saw some pictures or the 'early' porotyes about 2-3 years ago and they were not recent pictures then).

I think the sail is good for the class, not sure on the top section though. Time will tell!
Paul
---------------------------
D-Zero GBR188
Ex Rooster 8.1 '11'
Ex Laser 167534
Ex Blaze 655
charlie1019 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote charlie1019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 9:34am
I can remember a mate trialling a carbon top section and revised sail when we were about 16. That must make it about 12 years ago!
Vronny View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by JimC

There's more on that here.

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/Perth-2011---Not-always-happy-families-on-Olympic-class-sailing-scene/90560
The article includes the sentence: There could be a major drama looming at Perth 2011, the key sailing qualifying event for the London Olympics, with large numbers of mast equipment failures in the Laser class possible, a known problem plaguing the Olympic single handed dinghy in recent years.
 Really? Have recent major laser championships been plagued by this?
I'm not disputing it - just curious.
The laser masts I know seem pretty tough - we stick 'em in the mud when we capsize and then bounce on the dagger board to get 'em up. You'd think club level sailing would severely test laser masts but I've only very rarely (in several decades) seen one fail. Is it that the newer lasers being supplied and used at major events have weaker masts?

Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 1:42pm
Perth are expecting winds most days of 20-25 knots and the depth in the race area is as little as 2-3m. The local sailors do tend to go thru a few top sections as their will be a 1-2m swell, one could call it more of a short steep chop...not as bad as Melb, but....
One is also sceptical as it is LP Australia that has developed this sail and top section
What I am more suprised about is the lack of action by ISAF on the laser issue. IMHO if this had been any other class they would have been slung out of the olympics.

Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 2:23pm
As far as I can recall, equipment changes are not be possible part way though an Olympic cycle.
At what point changes could feasibly be allowed to the Laser/Laser Radial before the 2016 Olympics I'm not sure. It would certainly never happen before London (Weymouth) even if all the parties could reach agreement.
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 11 at 4:41pm
You are right Andymac...but they are voting/have voted on the 2016 classes now (apart from those which are going thru trials)
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 11 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Vronny

Originally posted by JimC

There's more on that here.

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/Perth-2011---Not-always-happy-families-on-Olympic-class-sailing-scene/90560
The article includes the sentence: There could be a major drama looming at Perth 2011, the key sailing qualifying event for the London Olympics, with large numbers of mast equipment failures in the Laser class possible, a known problem plaguing the Olympic single handed dinghy in recent years.
 Really? Have recent major laser championships been plagued by this?
I'm not disputing it - just curious.
The laser masts I know seem pretty tough - we stick 'em in the mud when we capsize and then bounce on the dagger board to get 'em up. You'd think club level sailing would severely test laser masts but I've only very rarely (in several decades) seen one fail. Is it that the newer lasers being supplied and used at major events have weaker masts?

I get through at least 2 complete masts in a season...
Not always snapped, but no longer legal. If you apply the "straight mast" rule absolutely, I'd be getting through about 6 as the bottom sections bend when you go out in more than 20 knots.

For example, the mast I used at the worlds in July (brand new other than being broken in over the previous 4 weeks in training)... Bottom section was bent with about 0.5cm of deflection by the end of the week (I'm using this as my training one now), and the top section snapped 2 weeks ago.  Smile

So in short, yes, the masts are currently **** and it's a disgrace!  If you apply the class rules properly, everyone at a top event should be disqualified after every windy day, because there won't be a single straight mast when they come ashore.

And that's not an exaggeration.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 10:00am
Why does it take sooooo long?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>