FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
robinft View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by maxibuddah

I'm pretty sure I managed to get the boom as tight with my crappy rope version with a swivel at the bottom as you can with an xd version, its just that it cost me about 150 less.

On the slipway using two hands, possibly. One handed after rounding the leeward mark in a blow, never!
Laser number 9
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Ruscoe

The problem is change to what? There is no real alternative in the form of SMOD which offers a chuck rig up and go, leave for years in the dinghy park to rot catagory............

Unless someone is willing to chuck millions at building and designing a class with both the infustructurer and manufacturing of the Laser i can't see it happening, to be honest i just dont think their is enough ROI to make it viable nowerdays.

So like it or lump it i think we are stuck with it.  As for new sails and masts, fantastic its about bloody time.

Rooster started on their way to an alternative, http://www.roostersailing.com/wordpress/?cat=1&paged=2 it seems to have lost momentum now though
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Hengest

Rooster started on their way to an alternative, http://www.roostersailing.com/wordpress/?cat=1&paged=2 it seems to have lost momentum now though

This is because they are now in stage 2 of development. That combined with Steve having been ill recently things have slowed down.

He has given a few hints that things are still progressing.

I for one will be interested to see if he pulls it off, that combined with wanting a test sail ASAP.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
fudheid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by fudheid

Felixstowe ferry have got a hyde sails prototype for the laser (infact they have got 2 both different) they are the same panel layout as the photo they have been used by the club lasers (for any club memebers use) for two years now i think.

How on earth did you swing that! I have been trying various means to get a couple of prototypes to 'have a go on' since I heard about this!

What sort of shape are they in now and how much use have they had in those 2 years?
the sails are in pretty good shape considering they are 'club' sails which is as good as giving them to a sailing school to bugger up (one x 1hr race a wee. The better radial is still up there winning races (in the right hands) mind most of the club sailors tend to think sails should last 20 years like the good old cotton ones LOL  
These are Hydes and i guess since they are manufacturers of the original they had a pretty good start point for improvement - although not hard with a 3.8oz cross cut potato sack. Trying to remember now if one had 4 battens - not sure, will have to wait till next year now we are softies and stop sailing when it gets below 15C Cry

Peter White (ex rondar, ex hydes, ex everything, 505 leg end) was working with them and got them donated! Wink usually their donations came because someone had messed - bad finishing or wrong logos etc. Seems these are first run protos - one of them is pretty poor apparently with the other almost being fought over on our first come first served! haha glad i sail it very very rarely!

Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by robinft

I'm pretty sure I managed to get the boom as tight with my crappy rope version with a swivel at the bottom as you can with an xd version, its just that it cost me about 150 less.

On the slipway using two hands, possibly. One handed after rounding the leeward mark in a blow, never!

I think it was easier from in the boat actually as you just dropped the tiller for a moment and sort of threw yourself over the boom; one hand on the boom bouncing it down the other pulling the kicker on ...

Loads of booms used to snap before they were sleeved.

Current sails are very poor ... why does it take so long to fix what is so obviously very fragile by design.
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by seamonkey

Originally posted by robinft

I think it was easier from in the boat actually as you just dropped the tiller for a moment and sort of threw yourself over the boom; one hand on the boom bouncing it down the other pulling the kicker on ...

Loads of booms used to snap before they were sleeved.

Current sails are very poor ... why does it take so long to fix what is so obviously very fragile by design.

Except you then have the main pinned in as hard as possible, your weight in the centre of the boat and you have let go of the tiller......

You are right on the booms snapping though.

Edited by Dougal - 15 Nov 11 at 5:16pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 5:27pm

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the XD kit at all, really, when it was so simple before...
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the XD kit at all, really, when it was so simple before...

Does it really make you wonder? The Harken XD kit, less so the holt stuff, is in a completely different league to the old kit! It has allowed lighter sailors to progress into the laser due to the ability to depower so easily which makes them more money in boat sails.  Plus it allows them to sell some decent kit at massively inflated prices.  Its a no brainer isnt it?

I do however think half the reason why the sails last such a short amount of time these days is because the loads going through them now are so much higher than they used to be.  Could it be that by updating a small part of the boat (the control lines) they have made another (the sail) look even more outdated than it seemed before?
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 7:06pm
ISAF, ILCA, RYA... all representative bodies who are only empowered because we elect for it be that way.

The fundamental reason why the laser is so out dated yet remains popular with decades of unchallenge 'known issues' is because you, we, our media and other influencers allow it to be so... Doesn't say much for 'dinghy sailors' does it...? (someone's been saying this of sorts for 4 years or so on here) No wonder only a complete maverick would dare challenge that entrenched, moth ball of a market. Rather him than me, I doubt there's much ROI in that game.

Edited by rogue - 15 Nov 11 at 7:07pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by laser193713

Originally posted by Rupert

Does it really make you wonder? The Harken XD kit, less so the holt stuff, is in a completely different league to the old kit! It has allowed lighter sailors to progress into the laser due to the ability to depower so easily which makes them more money in boat sails.  Plus it allows them to sell some decent kit at massively inflated prices.  Its a no brainer isnt it?

I do however think half the reason why the sails last such a short amount of time these days is because the loads going through them now are so much higher than they used to be.  Could it be that by updating a small part of the boat (the control lines) they have made another (the sail) look even more outdated than it seemed before?
Really? Does one have to put an emoticon of some sort next to comments that might not be expected to be taken at face value, so Laser sailors can understand them?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>