FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section
    Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 8:56am
Originally posted by bustinben

Everyone knows it - but there's nothing else that offers the same quality of racing so SOME people put up with it I guess (me included), shame the rest bugger off, some never to set foot in a dinghy again

corrected that for you...
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 6:55am
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

Everyone knows it - but there's nothing else that offers the same quality of racing so people put up with it I guess (me included).

The quality of racing depends more on the people than the equipment. If you all moved en mass from the Laser to another class which has better build quality you'd still get the same standard of racing as you'd take the quality with you.

Alas the quality comes from the fact that it's the mens/womens olympic singlehander, so it's up to isaf.
Aside from the equipment issue I think it's an excellent boat however.  Very easy to sail,  but very difficult to sail fast.  There is no tuning cheat sheet that will give you boatspeed in a laser.  

It's also slow enough to make downwind wavesailing extremely interesting.  Most of the time your boat wants to be going slightly slower than the waves, but if you can get it to jump on the escalator, and then start skipping down the steps...  Smile  Very rewarding.
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 10:42pm

Everyone knows it - but there's nothing else that offers the same quality of racing so people put up with it I guess (me included).

The quality of racing depends more on the people than the equipment. If you all moved en mass from the Laser to another class which has better build quality you'd still get the same standard of racing as you'd take the quality with you.

Edited by SoggyBadger - 14 Nov 11 at 10:42pm
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 10:29pm
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 9:31pm
Sorry Ben you have just made the Laser look even more ridiculous, shame really as I can see the concept of simple boats and class racing. However if the equipment is not up to the forces put on it such that it makes the equipment out of class that is either good salesmanship or fraud.

Guess why I and most other sailors do not sail Lasers.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 7:30pm
also note that not all measured regattas have supplied boats... radial men, for example. Or masters events.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Contender443

Bustinben - question for you. How can a mast be illegal if you have it measured on day one of the championship, it is supplied by the organisers and you can only measure one mast per championship?

Then you have 20 knot winds and bend the mast. Not your problem surely. There is nothing you can do about it during the championship. If the race committee, measurers or any competitor starts protesting you then this will not be a very popular move. I guess many sailors would quickly leave the class regardless of it being an Olympic boat.

...Because the class rules say: "Straight mast".  You should be able to change to another one if it bends by going to see the measurer.  I'm not sure what the situation would be if they were checking straightness on measuring in, but then refused to let you change a bent one...

If they did start enforcing it properly, then yes, it would be a ridiculous. But more ridiculous than having to ignore the class rules because the kit simply isn't up to the job?  I'm not sure.

What we have at the moment is the real situation where you have to buy a new bottom section (and a top, if you're unable to fully straighten it, which drastically reduces its life as well) for every regatta where you  know they're going to be measuring properly.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 1:44pm
strange thing for me was that I never broke a top section, only bent them, but I did break two bottom sections at deck level where the tube wore against the gelcoat. I'm pretty sure I managed to get the boom as tight with my crappy rope version with a swivel at the bottom as you can with an xd version, its just that it cost me about £150 less.
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by seamonkey

No it wasn't; in the 70s laser spars were snapping all over the place; they are much more robust now mainly because the tubes are sleeved ...

The XD controls just make things easier; people were still using block to block kicker tensions 30 years ago ...

I think you will find only the boom is sleeved. The top and bottom sections for all rigs are just straight tubes with no edditional reinforcement.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 11:48am
I've broken three top sections and one boom in the past, everytime it's a c*nt a situation as it inevitably means you've f**ked your luff section, which unlike the top section, you won't get Noble to give you a nice shiny new one, it'll be patched and that's another rag fubared...

... this of course was back in the 1990's when I used a 386 PC, made mixtapes from recordings off the radio and drank cider as alcopops hadn't been invented. So I guess this known issue has been resolved now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>