FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser - New Standard Sail and Carbon Top Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 11 at 11:05am
Originally posted by maxibuddah

Originally posted by laser193713

Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by seamonkey

I think it was easier from in the boat actually as you just dropped the tiller for a moment and sort of threw yourself over the boom; one hand on the boom bouncing it down the other pulling the kicker on ...

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the XD kit at all, really, when it was so simple before...

Does it really make you wonder? The Harken XD kit, less so the holt stuff, is in a completely different league to the old kit! It has allowed lighter sailors to progress into the laser due to the ability to depower so easily which makes them more money in boat sails.  Plus it allows them to sell some decent kit at massively inflated prices.  Its a no brainer isnt it?
I do however think half the reason why the sails last such a short amount of time these days is because the loads going through them now are so much higher than they used to be.  Could it be that by updating a small part of the boat (the control lines) they have made another (the sail) look even more outdated than it seemed before?

you what ? laser sails were always naff and only lasted about 6 months if you sailed hard and the xd kit wasn't invented back then, and then of course the sail went from 3.2 to 3.8 ounce material which made little difference to the longevity at all

Try getting 6 months out of a laser sail these days... I used to just have 1 sail that was my event sail and nothing else, open meetings didnt justify that sail even.  Using that sail only in qualifiers, nationals etc it would just about last a year.  For club racing and training i had a sail which was really quite dead and then in the middle i had a sail that was suitable for opens.  These 3 sails got relegated every time I bought a new one which was at least once a year.  

Perhaps it all depends on what you define as a sails racing life...
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 11 at 9:43am

There's actually a rule that sail numbers should be no more than four digits (Appendix G, rule G1.1 (c) ). however, that doesn't apply to Lasers, as they're a pre-1997 ISAF International class.

As a digression, what does ISAF expect an International or Recognised class to do if it reaches number 9999, especially if early boats are still sailing? Presumably thge rule doesn't really affect the laser 2000, as it isn't an International class and the leading 2 isn't really part of the number.
-_
Al
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 11 at 8:53am

you what ? laser sails were always naff and only lasted about 6 months if you sailed hard and the xd kit wasn't invented back then, and then of course the sail went from 3.2 to 3.8 ounce material which made little difference to the longevity at all

And changing the first number (or two) on the sail to red didn't make them last any longer either.

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 11 at 7:24am

I think it was easier from in the boat actually as you just dropped the tiller for a moment and sort of threw yourself over the boom; one hand on the boom bouncing it down the other pulling the kicker on ...

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the XD kit at all, really, when it was so simple before...

Does it really make you wonder? The Harken XD kit, less so the holt stuff, is in a completely different league to the old kit! It has allowed lighter sailors to progress into the laser due to the ability to depower so easily which makes them more money in boat sails. Plus it allows them to sell some decent kit at massively inflated prices. Its a no brainer isnt it?
I do however think half the reason why the sails last such a short amount of time these days is because the loads going through them now are so much higher than they used to be. Could it be that by updating a small part of the boat (the control lines) they have made another (the sail) look even more outdated than it seemed before?

Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 8:32pm

Does it really make you wonder? The Harken XD kit, less so the holt stuff, is in a completely different league to the old kit! It has allowed lighter sailors to progress into the laser due to the ability to depower so easily which makes them more money in boat sails.  Plus it allows them to sell some decent kit at massively inflated prices.  Its a no brainer isnt it?

I do however think half the reason why the sails last such a short amount of time these days is because the loads going through them now are so much higher than they used to be.  Could it be that by updating a small part of the boat (the control lines) they have made another (the sail) look even more outdated than it seemed before?
Really? Does one have to put an emoticon of some sort next to comments that might not be expected to be taken at face value, so Laser sailors can understand them?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 7:06pm
ISAF, ILCA, RYA... all representative bodies who are only empowered because we elect for it be that way.

The fundamental reason why the laser is so out dated yet remains popular with decades of unchallenge 'known issues' is because you, we, our media and other influencers allow it to be so... Doesn't say much for 'dinghy sailors' does it...? (someone's been saying this of sorts for 4 years or so on here) No wonder only a complete maverick would dare challenge that entrenched, moth ball of a market. Rather him than me, I doubt there's much ROI in that game.

Edited by rogue - 15 Nov 11 at 7:07pm
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 6:12pm

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 5:27pm

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by robinft

I'm pretty sure I managed to get the boom as tight with my crappy rope version with a swivel at the bottom as you can with an xd version, its just that it cost me about 150 less.

On the slipway using two hands, possibly. One handed after rounding the leeward mark in a blow, never!

Loads of booms used to snap before they were sleeved.

Current sails are very poor ... why does it take so long to fix what is so obviously very fragile by design.

Except you then have the main pinned in as hard as possible, your weight in the centre of the boat and you have let go of the tiller......

You are right on the booms snapping though.

Edited by Dougal - 15 Nov 11 at 5:16pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 11 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by robinft

I'm pretty sure I managed to get the boom as tight with my crappy rope version with a swivel at the bottom as you can with an xd version, its just that it cost me about 150 less.

On the slipway using two hands, possibly. One handed after rounding the leeward mark in a blow, never!

Loads of booms used to snap before they were sleeved.

Current sails are very poor ... why does it take so long to fix what is so obviously very fragile by design.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>