FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tornado, Perfect Boat for Olympic Mixed Sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
a_dowley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote a_dowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tornado, Perfect Boat for Olympic Mixed Sailing
    Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 9:50am

Edited by a_dowley - 28 Oct 11 at 9:51am
Rope for sale
Sailing Chandlery - Online Chandlery - Number 1 Rated
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 10:32am
Next Topic: the BMW M Series, and why its the perfect small family car...
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by JimC

Next Topic: the BMW M Series, and why its the perfect small family car...
Unhelpful comment , Jim. Borderline trolling. Can you explain what you meant, please?

Multihulls are trying to regain their place as part of Olympic sailing. If the idea of mixed crews helps in this regard then I'm all for it.
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 4:17pm
Seems obvious enough to me: the BMW M3 seems widely regarded as a very good car, but is not, I submit, an obvious choice as a small family car. Shouldn't be hard to extrapolate from there...
mrzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 4:59pm
But a Tornado is not an obvious choice for a family boat either, and correct me if I'm wrong, but ISAF are looking for a racing boat not one that you can take the kids out on...

Hobie Tiger
Hayling Ferry Sailing Club
a_dowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a_dowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 4:59pm
Thanks for the explanation Jim. 

What are your reasons behind thinking the Tornado is not a suitable boat for Olympic Mixed Sailing? It would be great to hear more.
Rope for sale
Sailing Chandlery - Online Chandlery - Number 1 Rated
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 5:09pm
I'm a little bit surprised at the claimed material cost of 2,000 to 4,000 Euros per year to campaign a Tornado. I imagined it would have be higher than that.
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 7:02pm

The advantage of the Tornado is that it lasts. If Im correct the Austrians boat was doing its 3rd Olympics In Beijing and the boat used by the Australians was doing its 2nd. So once a hull is bought then its a suit of sails which is a fixed price from Ullman a year and the entry fees per year.

furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by a_dowley

Thanks for the explanation Jim. 

What are your reasons behind thinking the Tornado is not a suitable boat for Olympic Mixed Sailing? It would be great to hear more.

Suitable is not quite the same thing as perfect! And if the big T was perfect for all male teams up to the point it was dropped, it seems unlikely that it's also perfect for mixed teams with a significant lower (albeit ISAF-suggested) target weight.

No axe to grind here, but as JimC has implied, perfect is a bold claim.
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 11 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by JimC

Seems obvious enough to me: the BMW M3 seems widely regarded as a very good car, but is not, I submit, an obvious choice as a small family car. Shouldn't be hard to extrapolate from there...
Well, Jim, you've made comments about whether an M3 (I see you've made your mind up now about which M Series) is suitable as a family car. And then rather than put these on a motoring forum you've chosen to post under this thread. 

Assuming you not done this by accident and have a point to make, I'm going to assume it's a negative one. Extrapolation by most definitions is difficult with only one point made. Could you elaborate as to whether you think the Tornado is unsuitable because:

1) Mixed crews will be unable to sail it due to reduced combined crew weight?
2) Mixed crews will not have the skill level required?
3) Mixed crews cannot afford it?
4) Mixed crews don't have any desire to sail high performance catamarans?

You may have other reservations or none at all. It's difficult to tell.
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>