FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

420 vs J22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 420 vs J22
    Posted: 27 Oct 11 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by bferry

IMO I wouldn’t dream of launching/recovering the boat after every sail.  Its a guaranteed way to ensure that you will not use the boat often and abandon it at a later stage.  A swinging mooring is definitely the better option.  Otherwise just stick to dinghy sailing: less costly, easier to handle and more likely to keep you interested.  Alternatively, go for a larger cruiser/racer with marina berth etc if you can afford the time and money, although the experience would be nothing close to sailing a dinghy with a lightweight planing hull.

If you can afford it, dry sailing is a FAR better option. Anti fouling takes up an insane amount of time at the beginning of every season, and you still have to scrub the boat regularly because it doesn't work all that well. Plus you don't have to play that big a part in it moving the boat, you just make sure the yard knows you want the boat in and out on certain dates and they should do it for you. Where I sail, everyone has swinging moorings and they are a pain. You have to pay extra cash for a rib or dory or whatever to get you out to it, they tend to be very exposed in rough weather and you are limited to the boat to flake sails and whatever. Plus, if you rip a sail or something then getting it ashore in a 5m rib, with 8 people and all their gear on board is a challenge. Plus the boat regularly needs cleaning, anti fouling helps but by no means does it totally prevent growth. You need a scrub at least once a month to keep the boat competitive.
lizzerrslitherr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lizzerrslitherr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 8:53am
Originally posted by alstorer

I'm going to guess that the original poster has merely been asked along to sail on one, rather than thinking of getting one for herself? I think she may be more interested in the actual sailing (crewing?) technique than the nitty gritty of ownership.

Although I do appreciate the rest of the input, you are correct. 
I doubt that I'll be purchasing a boat in the near future.

This is the technique forum, correct? Or should I move it somewhere else?

Edited by lizzerrslitherr - 28 Oct 11 at 8:56am
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 9:48am
It is the technique forum, you're not wrong. Sorry i can't offer any advice, but hopefully knowledgable people will be along soon to help!
-_
Al
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 11 at 11:11am
The mechanics of the two boats are exactly the same. If you are confident sailing a 420 then you wont find the J22 to be anything to worry about.

The main difference is the crew number - 420s obviously sail with 2 crew and their roles are fairly well defined. J22s have a crew weight limit of 275kg which typically means 3-4 crew.

Exactly what jobs these crew do and how they do them will change from boat to boat. If you know what you will be doing on the boat we can offer some more detailed advice.
StephanieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephanieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 16 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Mister Nick

I think the main difference is the fact that a 420 is a small dinghy and a J22 is a keelboat, meaning that the J22 is a much bigger boat with a much bigger rig.
totally agree
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12