FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LEE BOW EFFECT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
Author
didlydon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 2:13pm
Stuffing & footing Pinch............ Please explain as well.......
Vareo 365

rb_stretch View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 2:05pm
My understanding is that when beating against the tide, if the tide is coming at your bow from the lee side then it is effectively pushing you into the wind. This is good because firstly it counteracts leeway and secondly gives you stronger apparent wind as you get pushed into the wind. Sometimes the difference between stuffing and footing is the lee bow effect, which therefore makes it pay to stuff.

Obviously if tide is on the windward side upwind then you are fighting both wind and tide, so can sail anyway near as high or fast.

didlydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 1:58pm
It's probably been discussed here before, but someone in my club mentioned the Lee Bow Effect after racing on a light breeze day when the tide was running strongly...... I just nodded & thought I understood, but to be honest didn't really.... So can anyone explain it to me please? Thanx. Geek
Vareo 365

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122