FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making an old Laser go fast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 11 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by winging it

I have also recetnly acquired an old laser just to bring my single handed sailing back up to speed following a looooooonnnnnng break.  <snip>

Plus of course you can attempt to persuade your local expert eg the very lovely Jeffers to give you hints at club level! Embarrassed

I had heard the rumours Nessa....this Sunday looks perfect for a first outing Wink
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
andy101 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 11 at 9:16pm
re the replica sails - is there a noticeable performance difference or is it merely because you can't race in certain events without the official one?  
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 11 at 7:44am
Yes indeed but seriously just hike loads!!!!!
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 11 at 8:47am
According to the letter of the rules you can't race in *any* event with the fake sails.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 11 at 9:05am
Originally posted by JimC

According to the letter of the rules you can't race in *any* event with the fake sails.

Jim is correct in what he says and this issue has divided the Laser fleet(s).

Some clubs do not allow replica sails for racing at any time.

Some clubs allow replica sails for club races but not for open meeting or class events.

Aside from that the only real difference you are likely to notice is the price is much cheaper and some of them last a lot longer. I have a 3 year old replica sail that is still in pretty good condition and perfectly good for club racing. My good 'genuine' sail is about the same age, has been used a lot less and is definitely showing signs wear and tear.

Performance wise they may need to be trimmed slightly differently to a 'genuine' article but overall they are very similar (there would be very little point selling then as training sails if they did not perform like the real thing).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 11 at 9:45am
Originally posted by JimC

According to the letter of the rules you can't race in *any* event with the fake sails and still call your boat a Laser™

corrected that for you Jim... Of course most club racing types I've met over the years are happy just to see more people out there, and if a fakie gets your (older) boat a little more on a level playing field with the rest of the fleet, then surely this is well within the good intentions of most club level sailors in the Laser fleet?

If you upgrade to a newer boat, then I'd probably advise either a) buying something else (not relevant for this thread) or b) sticking with official gear as you're more likely to need to maintain your investment or expand your sailing options by going to the occasional open meeting where a fakie will be an issue.
andy101 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 11 at 9:25pm
Ok -I only club race & badly need a new sail so seems a bit of a no brainer. Paul can you expand on the trimming point when you get a chance? thnx
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 11 at 9:03am
Originally posted by andy101

Ok -I only club race & badly need a new sail so seems a bit of a no brainer. Paul can you expand on the trimming point when you get a chance? thnx

Hi Andy,

With regards to my trimming comment.

Some of the 'replica' or 'training' sails are made from a heavier weight of cloth (or have more resin). This egenrally means you will need to use different amounts of cunnigham (usually more). The trade off is that the sail lasts longer.

From what I have seen the commonly available replicas (Rooster and iSails) seem to be pretty much identical but if you get an Intensity replica (from the states) the cloth is much stiffer and requires moe cunningham to achieve the same effect (you have to pull it harder rather than pull more on if that makes sense).

Aside from that mainsheet trimming, kicker and outhaul seem to be very similar.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 11 at 1:10pm
There is another way to go fast:

Smile

Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 11 at 2:18pm
Great, but why?  Purely for the photo opportunity (having airbrushed the tow rope out)?  It must have been pretty windy anyway to keep the sail full whilst being towed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>