FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Olympic selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
gordon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic selection
    Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 5:36pm
That was true when sailing was an amateur sport. Top level sailing is now professional - paid for by sponsors and(a few) spectators. If the sailors want the lifestyle they have to accept the constraints - just as professsional rugby players have to play matches at weird times to suit Sky.

Gordon
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 9:27pm
I kind of agree Gordon....but 90 degree shifts is too much (and 16 recalls!)
Alan Gillard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alan Gillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 6:51pm

Hyeres world cup event; In the Laser Radials why would one of our own sailors want to Match race another fellow GBR sailor out of the chance of winning a medal at the event?

Sparkies tweet; ''Looks like 4th overall for Ali Young I think after Charlotte Dobson match raced her on start and 1st lap. Chn win, Bel 2nd, Ned 3rd.''
cjsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 8:50pm
I read that as well.  Surely it cannot be true. 

Alison Young has sailed a great series in demanding conditions, dominating the first 3 days against the world's best.  Looks like a flukey 4th day halted her progress to what could have been a comfortable gold although she was still in the frame for gold before the medal race.  Looks like she has developed into another real medal prospect for the summer.

Edited by cjsailor - 27 Apr 12 at 9:42pm
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 12 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by cjsailor

I read that as well.  Surely it cannot be true.

Alison Young has sailed a great series in demanding conditions, dominating the first 3 days against the world's best.  Looks like a flukey 4th day halted her progress to what could have been a comfortable gold although she was still in the frame for gold before the medal race.  Looks like she has developed into another real medal prospect for the summer.

It's the last event before selection.  Why wouldn't it be true?  Last year at S4G they turned the medal race into a match race too.  The event is about personal results not "Team GBR".

Edited by bustinben - 28 Apr 12 at 10:35pm
cjsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 12 at 11:43pm
I understand they are competing for the one place but, unless there are strict criteria like number of podium places, I do not see how this enhances Charlotte's bid.  She had no chance of finishing ahead of Alison, or much better than where she was, as too many points behind.  However, Alison had a real chance of gold as only 3 points away from the lead entering the medal race.  Also, Team GBR's goal is medals at the Olympics and for that they need their sailors to experience doing just that at preparation events without artificial hinderance.  This would seem to detract from that goal with little gained from a team perspective.

Alison looks to be the improving sailor ready to peak for the games.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 12 at 8:21am
I totally agree, but I think the aim was supposed to be "Ok, I didn't have a fantastic week but when it come down to it I'm quicker than Ali".

It's completely wrong though, the way to show the selectors who's boss would be to go out and win the medal race.  Doing a "damage limitation" exercise doesn't help.  

What it actually shows the selectors is not that she can dominate Ali, but that she didn't think she could have in impact in that race. Ali had been out there dominating the field all week, and that's what charlotte actually needed to show she could do, but she also knew she couldn't.  All IMO of course...

Don't forget that to these girls this is their livelihood and career, so decision making is done on different grounds than when you or I are racing.

Edited by bustinben - 29 Apr 12 at 8:25am
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 12 at 9:47am
Ben,

I was watching the medal race (I coach Lijia Xu from China) and at this level it is a very hard decision to make and Charlotte must have felt she had a better opportunity in a match race than she did chance of winning the race...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 12 at 2:29pm
I know stuff all about the tactics/politics of getting Olympic Selection, but it seems to me that in these circumstances if you let your opponent take a medal they get a(nother?) tick in the box that says "can medal at major events", whereas if you match race them out they get a big black X in the box that says "not vulnerable to being match raced out of medals". OTOH if you try and fail to match race your opponent out they get both the "can medal at major events" tick and a "not vulnerable to being match raced out" tick.

Of course I don't know if that's how it really works, but shouldn't be suprised...
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 12 at 3:01pm
Personally I think Olympic selection is unfair. I think if you qualify why shouldnt a country with two of the worlds best  both go to the olympics. In swimming an athlete can win multiple medals or in Athletics for example. Why shouldnt Ben ainslie and Giles scott go to olympics and both finish with gold and  silver or goodison and thompson.  

Edited by kingdacks - 29 Apr 12 at 3:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>