FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AC in Plymouth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC in Plymouth
    Posted: 11 Sep 11 at 9:13pm
Just returned from Plymouth watching the AC racing this weekend.  Awesome!!

I've been watching the coverage on sky from the first round and thought they had cracked it. The coverage was exciting and engaging. The commentators gave a good narration to the racing and GPS tracking with associated graphics really helped to explain what was happening. This means that you can enjoy watching the whole race rather than youtube clips of the highlights.

The format in Plymouth has been really well thought out and will go a long way to excite even the non-sailing public. The boats are impressive and by using the Sound as a venue, you feel really close to the racing. The event village on the Hoe had live commentary and close up live video on big screens.

I liked the concept of the speed trials. Basically a 500m drag race fetch across the Hoe, close in to the shore. Big hull lifts, awesome speed, spray, capsizes etc all make for good viewing.

I think a great deal could be learned from this type of event and associated coverage. I'm aware that they have pot fulls of cash, but it really does work.

Anyone else make it down?
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 11 at 9:21pm
dont dis you tube , ac have a set up with you tube , FULL programs are posted on u tube after shown live on ac site , sat in bed and watched yesterdays 3 races and time trials on u tube on my phone ,
How things have changed !!!
watched later live racing thro lap top plugged into big screen tv , awesome !
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 11 at 9:26pm
Just watching vids on youtube now. Their twitter feed is also pretty good - nice detail on when races are happening, links to interviews etc.  Truly multimedia!
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 11 at 6:54am

I wasn't able to make it down- so I watched live, in 720p HD on youtube.

They're getting it right. I know there's been many attempts at Grand Prix sailing before, but this, as a televised spectator sport, works. The commentary was striking the the right level of technical content. The camera angles were good. The graphics added to understanding, rather than being used as a "ooh, TOY" feature. They went live to the boats immediately after races- just like you get in athletics, football etc.

It would be nice though if they could be consitent about whether they're metric or imperial. Saturday was all metres and kilometres, Sunday was yards and miles.

-_
Al
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 11 at 8:43am
my wife even watched it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 11 at 6:28pm
Couldn't agree more. I have been out taking pics and it's so good to see so many spectators. My parents were watching the live YouTube feed and they thought it was very good. I watched the highlights in the evening and it was fantastic. I might be a little bit biased living in Plymouth, but I think this event is spot on!  Thumbs Up

Edited by tgruitt - 12 Sep 11 at 6:29pm
Needs to sail more...
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 11 at 12:06am
Plymouth certainly is putting on a good show! The venue is so perfect for this sort of racing and the format is actually really good.  The concept seemed a bit too simplified for me to start with but the course is actually really tactical and works especially well with the multihulls.  The fleet racing was spectacular but I am still not sure whether i like the match racing in multihulls.  I also am still struggling to accept this sort of racing as the americas cup... but I can't fault it for entertainment!

I would be interested to know how people found plymouth in terms of infrastructure, were you able to park anywhere easily, did you stay anywhere overnight or enjoy any of the local bars etc?  It was easy for me because i have a flat in plymouth, with its own parking space and being a student i didnt find it hard to make good use of the bars either! Not sure how others without the luxury of a flat and a parking space might have found it though?
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 11 at 1:34pm
I was very lucky as I have a couple of mates in West Hoe, who have gardens backing onto the sea.  We therefore had BBQ's, beers and a grandstand view.

I noticed parking around West Hoe was a lot busier than I have ever seen, but that was to be expected. Plymouth is quite a compact city so walking from anywhere isn't really an issue.

We walked up onto the Hoe to see the bands and the facilities were pretty good. I thought the bars could have been closer to the main stage area. That would have given it a bit more of a festival vibe.

The Waterfront bar in West Hoe was the place to be. The boats were finishing just off-shore from there and starting their speed trial runs. However, they were charging and restricting tickets, so might have been an expensive day out.
David Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 11 at 11:15am
Without wishing to detract from the most spectacular, exciting sailing I've seen broadcast on any media, I thought the commentary could have been better.

They clearly had two extremely knowledgable and attentive commentators in Annie Gardner and another chap whose name I didn't catch, but the main shouty guy added nothing - even insisted on saying the cats were doing over 30 kph when the speedo was clearly showing on screen that they were not.  All he could do was say who was in front of who and who was capsizing, which was faily obvious.

Sailing isn't obvious to the wider audience they are clearly trying to attract.  We deserve better explanation of what's on the screen in terms of the tactics and the rules, without which it must all seem very confusing to the uninitiated.
stewart smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote stewart smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 11 at 5:29pm

I have watched all of the races in full on my lap top and it is nice to knows that there are other who have done the same. After watching the first event from Cascais, I tried hard to get down to Plymouth but had to make do with the lap top. I think some of the commentators are still on steep  learning curve.... like some of the sailors!

Stewart Smith
 Post Reply Post Reply