FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SHOES!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rudderlesslaser View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rudderlesslaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHOES!?
    Posted: 21 Jul 11 at 8:52am
hey guys,
was just going through all of my sailing gear and found a pair of slam sailing shoes i bought a year or so back....... wore them for racing once..... and never again because they slip when they get wet......
they have a rubber sole and soft mesh walls etc.

does anyone have a way to stop shoes slipping?

Stuart O View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 11 at 2:23pm
can try rubbing the soles with sand paper...its what we used to do with brand new musto shoes. Apparently they do this because of the release agent used...in a similar way to brand new car tyres are also slippery in the wet when brand new
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 11 at 10:36pm
Around this time there was a really big import of cheap rubber from asia which was absolutely useless! I had a pair of Henri Lloyd shoes that made decks feel like ice from the same sort of time and that was the explanation I got from various sorces although the manufacturers wouldnt admit to using poor quality materials.  I bit the bullet and bought a new pair and have not had a problem since. 

It is really important not to wear shoes like this off the boat, the rubber is so soft that they are not suitable for wearing ashore.  Also keep them out of the sun as much as possible as uv hardens the rubber and loses your grip.  If you get hard spots appearing you can actually go at them with anything up to an angle grinder to get back to soft rubber, trust me it works!
 Post Reply Post Reply