New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Is it possible to still become an Olympic sailor i
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible to still become an Olympic sailor i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ula Easlick View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ula Easlick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to still become an Olympic sailor i
    Posted: 16 Jul 11 at 3:45am
It seems all the olympic class sailors start really early or are born into sailor families. I just moved to a city where I can learn sailing, and I'm in love with sailing already, wish I had started earlier. To all the great sailors out there, is it ever possible for a late starter to bloom in competitive sailing?

Edit by Mark: Pity, this person is a spammer trying to sell handbags - I've suspended him/her but kept the question!

Edited by Mark Jardine - 16 Jul 11 at 6:11am
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 11 at 3:56am
I have a friend who started sailing in his thirties and has since won a European Championship in his chosen class so its certainly possible for a late starter to bloom at the highest levels of amateur sailing.

If you're in love with the pure enjoyment of sailing I would suggest staying clear of the Olympic pathway anyway: that's more for people who are focussed on winning and winning alone. There's more *fun* away from the games IMHO.

Edited by JimC - 16 Jul 11 at 4:00am
LarFinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LarFinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 11 at 7:29am
Don't confuse Olympic sailing with Competitive racing. There are plenty of ultra competitive classes where older sailors are/can be at the front at a World Championships.
Andi

Finn GBR75

doeywizard View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote doeywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 10:31am
I got told that if you want something enough and work to get it then you can do anything you want, just work at the sailing and tell us all if you make it.

Topper 46148 for sale    
http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=276804
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by doeywizard

I got told that if you want something enough and work to get it then you can do anything you want, just work at the sailing and tell us all if you make it.

Have ou been speaking to Chris Russell?
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 4:51pm
Certainly not required that you go through all the youth squads, if you've got talent you'll be spotted- Dan Henderson, Musto Skiff World Champion, has apparently now been approached by the RYA to consider campaigning a 49er, presumably aiming at 2016. Definitely not the "normal" route.
-_
Al
themeaningoflife View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 11 at 5:34pm
However he was 29er squad beforehand, as well as occasionally sailing a 49er at club level, and being recommended that he contact Pete Perera, a podium finisher at 29er world championships as well as being a relatively experienced 49er crew...
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 11 at 8:45am
And he won the use of an i14 for a year ( by doing very well at i14 trials ), was Pico national champion, so lots of experience in different boats.

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
 Post Reply Post Reply