FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12ft skiff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Strawberry

What is the PY of a 12ft skiff? Do they even use PY as their handicap in the southern hemisphere? What would it be?

To my knowledge the only States in AUS that publish PY numbers are Vic and SA and I don't think either has a signifcant 12 footer fleet. Vic rate the 12 tentatively at 92, where the I14 is 86.5 and B14 96.5, and FD 92.5.
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 4:51pm
92! that seems a little bit too slow doesn't it? Whats their relative speed like upwind as i thought that they would be planing upwind in just about all conditions.
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
m_liddell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m_liddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Strawberry

What is the PY of a 12ft skiff? Do they even use PY as their handicap in the southern hemisphere? What would it be?

To my knowledge the only States in AUS that publish PY numbers are Vic and SA and I don't think either has a signifcant 12 footer fleet. Vic rate the 12 tentatively at 92, where the I14 is 86.5 and B14 96.5, and FD 92.5.

Their difference in PY between the I14 and B14 is interesting...

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 05 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Skiffe

Originally posted by timnoyce

i posted it on the 12 foot skiff forum but got no reply.... Is the rudder on this boat standard in the 12's or is it a bit of an experiment? I still haven't got round to building my new rudder for the cherub so was wondering if there were any benefits to having one of this shape?

There are all shapes. Chord lengths of about 120mm -250mm. the short chord lenght is to stop cavitation at speed.they are all a bit of a one off.

The narrow section is there to specifically reduce the drag due to the surface piercing effect.  It uses exactly the same principal as the foils made by a certain Mr. Paterson at Bloodaxe for the 470's.  The waisted section has narrower chord, finer radius leading edge and the maximum thickness further aft.

That particular foil is made by Alex Vallings of C-tech and he can mould you a nice shiny new one at a very reasonable price. (at least, the quote he gave me was reasonable).

jakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 05 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Blobby

That series of shots was on the Favourite Pics thread about 6 weeks ago!

Yeh sorry about that. Only just started looking at this forum. I noticed that when the pics were originally posted people were asking questions as to why someone would have tried to beat the ferry. I took the photos...so I can tell you - they were coming down from the top mark on the first lap in 4th place. The mark they were aiming for was past a point that was to windward of their heading. If they had gone behind the ferry they have lost 10 places as a big pack was right behind them, as can be seen in the photo below, which was taken about 10 seconds later.

It took that pack about 1 minute to reach the spot where P&O was.

cheers

jimmywalsh2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimmywalsh2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 05 at 5:29am

The 12 is a hard boat to handicap as the variety of rigs allow it to be at maximum speed in any breeze, where most boats are slow in the light stuff and get faster as the breeze comes in.

As an example we have some older 14ft skiffs sailing with us and in the light breeze with our biggest rigs we would beat them by over 15-20 minutes in an hour race. When the breeze comes in we are only about 5-10 minutes faster. These boats would be about 20 minutes slower than a top 14ft skiff.

As another comparison we raced the same course as the Flying Dutchmen  fleet, which included ex World champions so were top notch and we were on  average 7-8% faster around the course.

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 05 at 6:22am
Originally posted by jakey

Originally posted by Blobby

That series of shots was on the Favourite Pics thread about 6 weeks ago!

Yeh sorry about that. Only just started looking at this forum. I noticed that when the pics were originally posted people were asking questions as to why someone would have tried to beat the ferry. I took the photos...so I can tell you - they were coming down from the top mark on the first lap in 4th place. The mark they were aiming for was past a point that was to windward of their heading. If they had gone behind the ferry they have lost 10 places as a big pack was right behind them, as can be seen in the photo below, which was taken about 10 seconds later.

It took that pack about 1 minute to reach the spot where P&O was.

cheers

No worries - I take it they made it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456