FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12ft skiff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
MikeBz View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 05 at 4:21pm

Is it just me, or my eyes, or is the kite actually goose-winged in the first picture at the bottom of page 3?   Must be one mother of a gust to have to go that deep!

Is 'skulling' a beer just tipping it over your head?

Mike

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 05 at 4:28pm
it could be that the apparent wind was so much that they managed to bear away so far onto the run that the wind flipped sides of the boat. That always causes a spectacular wipeout i've found!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Skiffe View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 05 at 10:32am
Originally posted by timnoyce

skiffe. just wondered what the maximum beam of the R-Class is? I found this information on the website but it doesn't seem to say a maximum width including the wings? or have i missed something?
  • 3.0 Beam
    • 3.1 The extreme beam measured to the outside of the hull must not be less than 1.4 metres measured between perpendiculars to the waterline.
    • 3.2 The full width of the forward section of the boat, measured across the boat, 300mm back from the stem must not exceed 700mm.

Also at 3.9 metres surely they have an advantage upwind over the 12's running as R-classes as they are about 25cm longer? or doesn't it make a difference?

To my knowledge the r class is 1800mm wide with no wings. The 12 guys who want to really compete, I've been told, have tried "clip-on" hull extensions. I don't think it worked. This Nuplex is the same boat the  the mining Pic, it just won the Leander Trophy, their National, I think. As you can see there are no hull mods. 

12footers. The Only Way to FLY

Remember Professionals built the titanic, Amateurs built the ark.
Skiffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 05 at 10:40am
Originally posted by MikeBz

Is it just me, or my eyes, or is the kite actually goose-winged in the first picture at the bottom of page 3?   Must be one mother of a gust to have to go that deep!

Is 'skulling' a beer just tipping it over your head?

Mike

You might spell it this way,Skoaling, is just drinking a beer in the quickest time(5 sec has been done) as possible

what other class can you see almost 100 years of development?

jakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 5:44am

some more pics from the inters for ya.

How to deal with manly ferries: give them the finger

...and then keep going

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 6:44am

That series of shots was on the Favourite Pics thread about 6 weeks ago!

re R-Class - you can go as wide as you like, but the limitation is on extensions to the width that might be dangerous to people or boats to the satisfaction of the measurer (Rule 4.2).  That is a nice subjective rule for you.

The length difference between the R's & 12s doesn't seem to make much difference - 3% ish difference in theory based on the waterline length.  R's are a much smaller fleet though so the pace of development may well have been slower, so although the 12s are smaller I think the hull shape has progressed to a more refined state giving very little difference in performance. (just my humble opinion which is rarely influenced by facts).

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 9:53am
haha, what a humourous rule. Surely it's level of danger is all down to the person sailing it, rookies should have thin boats with padding!

right back to a previous question, i posted it on the 12 foot skiff forum but got no reply.... Is the rudder on this boat standard in the 12's or is it a bit of an experiment? I still haven't got round to building my new rudder for the cherub so was wondering if there were any benefits to having one of this shape?
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Skiffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 10:22am

Originally posted by timnoyce

i posted it on the 12 foot skiff forum but got no reply.... Is the rudder on this boat standard in the 12's or is it a bit of an experiment? I still haven't got round to building my new rudder for the cherub so was wondering if there were any benefits to having one of this shape?

There are all shapes. Chord lengths of about 120mm -250mm. the short chord lenght is to stop cavitation at speed.they are all a bit of a one off.

SARSIPPIUS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SARSIPPIUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Blobby

"That series of shots was on the Favourite Pics thread about 6 weeks ago!"

Once again I think it a case of people taking pics and not giving credit where credit is due. Way to go to rubbish the actual person who took the pic!!! 

Strawberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 05 at 3:15pm
What is the PY of a 12ft skiff? Do they even use PY as their handicap in the southern hemisphere? What would it be?
Cherub 2649 "Dangerous Strawberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>