FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beach Boat Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AndyMM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AndyMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beach Boat Recommendations
    Posted: 17 Jun 05 at 10:16pm
Hi there. I am based at the moment in Belgium and have been sailing a Laser off the beach for the last 2 years. I am looking at something a lot more exciting that can be sailed singlehanded but can also take the battering from the waves in the big winds.

Very shallow sand beach so hard grounding is inevitable in big winds when coming back in. The laser can take this anyone got any ideas what else is tough.

I like the look of the Moth but my feeling is it will break quickly. Cats are around everywhere but are almost all difficult singlehanded. I have been out on a few and really like the wire so a monohull that can be sailed singlehanded on a wire is perfect.

I am 6ft 2, 85kg (13 odd stone) so any thoughts would be great.

At the moment the Vortex is looking nice.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 05 at 10:37pm
Contender
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 05 at 10:46pm

Int contender,

rs600/700

mps

Blaze?

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
AndyMM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndyMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 9:04am
Thanks for the thoughts, I love the look of the contender but they seem to be in very short supply secondhand.

The RS700 is one I had already looked at. and there seem to be plenty around.

I might wait and see if a Nice Contender comes up.

Andy
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 10:44am
600, MPS etc are good, but if you are worried about hitting the beach then have a look at the spirint 15 (ex dart 15) similar performance, trapeeze option, no daggerboard to distroy on the bottom, and the rudders kick up too.  Plenty of very good boats going second hand at very reasonable prices.  Not sure how much new ones are exactly but I doubt they will be more than MPS/700s are going for second hand. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 11:00am
Yep I'd agree with Dart 15 / Sprint 15.
Jalani View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jalani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 3:15pm

Dart 15 or the 'new' Hobie 'Twixxy' - awful name but really strong twin trapeze 14ft trainer cat with spinnaker!

Easily sailed by two kids or one adult. No boards and super strong kick up Hobie rudders.

AndyMM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndyMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 5:54pm
I had looked at Cats, they are everywhere but if I want them I can rent them for 35 Euros an hour.

What I really want is a monohull that is extreme, the RS700 or the Contender look like top of the heap at the moment. I am not worried about foils, daggerboards etc as this I am used to with the Laser, it is more the boat itself surfing in on the waves then being dropped on the beach that is the problem.

I have tried all sorts of landing including deliberate capsizing but the Laser still winds up being bare Fibreglass by the end of the season :-)
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 6:51pm
Bloody hell i thikn ur better off with a vision mate !  Not many performace baots will survive many drops on a pebble beach!
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 05 at 10:18pm
Sounds like you should get your self an old MX Ray. Not a trap boat but it
has a kite and goes like stink. And has similar strength properties to a
laser in the hull and foils.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>