FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trapezing???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GybinJoe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybinJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trapezing???
    Posted: 14 May 11 at 10:05pm
On a Double Trapeaser like a 49er, Who should go out first, Crew or Helm??? Confused
Thanks!
SoggyBadger View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 11 at 10:16pm
No idea. I only ever sailed single trap boats. Try both ways and see which works best for you would be my advice.

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 11 at 10:39pm
The helm should be on the wire constantly if it's windy enough to trapeze, with the crew adjusting their position to keep the boat flat. So I'd say that the crew goes out first to keep the boat flat while the helm clips on and gets sorted, and moves in a little bit once the helm is on the wire. You don't want to both go out and then end up capsizing to leeward because there isn't enough power in the sails to counteract your weight so be careful. It's down to preference aswell, if you're both good enough to go out on the wire at the same time without having problems then do it but otherwise take it a bit more slowly.
 Post Reply Post Reply