FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat as women's skiff?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which boat as women's skiff?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [18.75%]
13 [27.08%]
13 [27.08%]
13 [27.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:35am
The 29er is a great boat (unlike the XX) but I'm not sure it would be a good choice for the games. Besides which its not really that different from the 470.
getafix View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:43am
Hope the Daemon get's another airing...
Menace View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 6:29pm
To be honest, none of them are really stand out boats after seeing them all bar the 900, which sounds like a modded 800 which falls into the "not stand out" category for me. More interested to see what the cats come up with and I sails skiffs. Why is there all this fuss about bodging something to fit a women's skiff. I hope Bethwaite is calling our bluff and some fantastic 39er rears it's head last moment, doubt it though. I reckon we'll end up with some non-fantastic default boat to fall in with supply logistics.

More to the point, I'm fairly local to where the Olympic sailing will be held in 2012, and I'm not that fussed about taking any time out to see it. I am, however, quite keen to get along to Plymouth for the AC wing sailed monsters. Am I just getting cynical with old age?
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by JimC

The 29er is a great boat (unlike the XX) but I'm not sure it would be a good choice for the games. Besides which its not really that different from the 470.

Jim, I'm interested, have you sailed the XX? What do think is so wrong with it?
JimC View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:29pm
Its not so much me, its what all the people I know who've sailed it seem to think, some of whom are world class 29er sailors... They don't seem to think it works as a package. But bits bolted on here, bits bolted on there rather than a complete design isn't often a recipe for success.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 6:59am
The XX lobby machine is back in action- story on the homepage from them, timing not a coincidence.
-_
Al
Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 7:21am
Actually, Daryl, that is a very fair point. A lot seem to shoot the 29erXX down without sailing it first hand. If we were to believe every we hear, a musto would be crap, a 49er unsailable and a Laser God's gift to the boating community.

I'd put money on the 9er getting it.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 8:49am
Quite a few people seem to "big up" the XX without having first sailed it too...
-_
Al
stiffboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stiffboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 9:24am
I have sailed the 900 and its an awesome boat.....it couldnt be more different from an 800
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 9:35am
Originally posted by stiffboater

I have sailed the 900 and its an awesome boat.....it couldnt be more different from an 800
I'm sure it could... bet a Mirror dinghy is more different!
Are there any pictures of it in close up anywhere?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Topper 44496, Minisail 3131, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>