FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mixed fleet racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
asterix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mixed fleet racing
    Posted: 06 May 11 at 3:58pm
a question:

if I'm sailing 'round the cans' in a mixed fleet and on a tight reach (as tight as I can manage with my asymetric) how should I approach trying to pass a symetric boat that is a bit slower?  Last night I tried to sail past a 505 that was to leeward of me, but (because I was taking his wind and slowing him down) he luffed me almost to the point where my only option was to capsize on top of him.  Now as windward boat I realise that I have to keep clear, but at the time the overlap started there was loads of room and once we are side by side it is too late for me as the assy to duck behind and go below him.  What should I/he do?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 4:13pm
Be polite and go to leeward, or ensure you are far enough to windward that you are clear of any luffing possibility. 
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 4:24pm
Shame that "Mast Abeam" call is no longer an option...

Mind you, it's a 505, he's probably old school, so maybe worth a shout anyway Wink

Now don't all start about unfair tactics, it was a nod and a wink, would I even dream of doing it for real?

I'd love to know why it was dropped though.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 4:31pm
If he luffs you do remind him that he needs to give you time to react and keep clear, that also involves dropping your kite if required.....

I believe you need to be more than 2 boat lengths to windward to be free of him luffing you...probably worth asking this in the rules section to be sure.

Tactically the fastest way is to avoid getting in this situation in the first place and look at getting an inside overlap at the next mark if you cannot manage to get clear ahead before you reach 'the zone'...
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 6:10pm
Considering that dropping your kite is not going to help either parties involved, probably best just to pass to leeward.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 6:27pm
Or for the boat being passed to minimise the pain and choose their route to the next mark accordingly.... but the rules are the rules and there is nothing stopping them stuffing themselves over Wink

Personally I like to see a nice luffing match in front of me, especially between 2 boats that I need to be close to if i want to get them on Handicap!....

Now luffing in class Racing...that is a different story....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 11 at 6:33pm
Gentlemen pass to leeward...

and if you let some SOB sit on your wind once he'll do it every damn week, but if you luff him to mongolia once he'll never do it again...

Edited by JimC - 06 May 11 at 6:41pm
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 8:16am
Pass far enough to windward so it interferes as little as possible or dive to leeward at the last minute and hope your speed / bigger sail area carries you through.  At the end of the day you both loose in handicap racing if you have a luffing match.  Must assume you have a lot of sail as normally asymmetrics can hold the kite higher than a symmetric, and if that's the case you need room to leeward just in case a gust comes in otherwise you're going swimming.

Also from your description you probably need your head out of the boat a bit more so you see situations developing before only one tactical option exists.  If you were that close nearly every boat would have luffed you just to keep clear wind.

If the reach is tight and you're faster boat with lots to pass consider going high (or low) early to give you room, in this case possibly a quarter of the leg high then pop kite and sail over everyone to the mark...
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 11:21am

OK, thanks for all for the advice.  I shall resolve to be more gentlemanly in future (hadn't realised I was being otherwise!). 

I had thought I had enough room to windward, but was a bit mistaken on that.  I didn't want to go lower from a racing point of view because I could only make the next mark with the genny if I stayed as high as possible all the way.  Also, I didn't have that much of a speed advantage over the 505.  But actually from a sailing perspective I would  have preferred to have had the option to bear away to deal with gusts etc (although the wind was fairly light and constant). 

Getting head out of the boat - yes, I do need to do that more - I am just regaining that ability, having spent some months with head firmly inside the boat getting to grips with it.

I am finding that with the RS100 it can quite often be better to sail individual legs of the course in parts, i.e. part with and part without the genny, all depending on the angles. 

In fact thinking about it, on the next leg of the race I described, the 505 went higher than me but I initially sailed faster lower with the genny for about 2/3 rd of the leg and then dropped it so that I beat (well close reached) up to the mark and got room on him.  He had the wind and rolled me though.

Edited by asterix - 07 May 11 at 11:29am
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

Shame that "Mast Abeam" call is no longer an option...I'd love to know why it was dropped though.

Because it was held to encourage hard luffing and contact which was deemed a Bad Thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>