FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd start question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd start question
    Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 9:28am

One from the weekend. The course was displayed on the board roughly as this:

I've added the approx wind direction (black arrow) and lines to show the start line (yellow) and finish (orange) as defined by the SIs- the start was a shore transit, with "club" as the outer distance. The finish was between the pole on the start box and "club". The red arrow WAS on the diagram.

The course was described below the diagram as:

Orange Tet (P)-Yellow Tet (P)-Club (P) (5 laps)*

Now, this caused confusion, and in fact most of the fleet failed to start- we mainly, lemming like, rounded Club close to Port and headed for Orange Tet. The RO subsequently abandonded, bt that's another matter

Some claimed that by, after the gun, sailing to the windward side of the line before heading for Orange Tet, they'd started correctly.

Having though about it, I'm not sure they did. Would anyone agree that in fact the correct start would be:

start from upwind of the line, heading down wind. Round the outer distance (Club) to Starboard. Race the course as described from there on in.

It would of course have been better had the RO set a less insane course. But, y'know, he was apparently far more clever than the fleet.

*to be shortened after an hour for average lap racing

-_
Al
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 9:39am
I can't see any reason from what's on the board for assuming that a downwind start and rounding of "club" to starboard would be the correct start. The most likely option would seem to be to treat "club" as a badly misplaced limit mark for the start line, keep it to port but cross the line before heading for orange..

You could probably argue that a windward start across the line up near orange followed by a quick gybe and rounding of orange way before anyone else got there was legal too.

Whichever way you look at it it's incredibly unclear and I'm amazed no one challenged it beforehand!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 9:56am
No-one realised the transit would be so poor until on the water.
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 10:30am
I think we need to see the SIs to see how they define the outer end of the line...
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 10:45am
Jeez and I thought our courses can be lame, that race would nver run from our club, he/she would be dragged from the race box and hastily re-educated.

What club is that?

It needs to be on the 'avoid at all cost list' 

Even had it been a windward start over the line between the club and the 'club' it would still have been a lame fetch reach fetch kind of procession..
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 11:13am
GRF, at inland clubs, because of the lack of tide, they can run races in almost zero wind conditions with utterly unpredictable and variable wind direction. This means that if the club/sailors like races to be run in those conditions, then only thing the RO can do is set a small triangle and a start and let the wind do whatever its going to do. You'll find that some clubs will let club races continue in conditions they wouldn't even consider letting an open event start in.

While such races ought to be a complete lottery, its suprising how the best sailors still seem to end up at the front of the fleet - at least if they are in Solos.

Edited by JimC - 27 Apr 11 at 11:15am
asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 11:22am
well given that info., I would have started from upwind of the transit (yellow line) as close to the Orange Tet as possible (i.e., top left of the diagram and nowhere near 'Club') and then sailed downwind to Orange Tet and then on round the triangle.  Why did anyone care where Club was at the start?

Edited by asterix - 27 Apr 11 at 11:22am
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 1:24pm
Because it's an outer limit mark for the line.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Lukepiewalker

Because it's an outer limit mark for the line.

Yep. I don't know how that can work unless there's something special in the SIs, and so I don't see how we can usefully comment on the situation without seeing them.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 3:21pm

Here's the SIs. It was the Weston Grand Slam. That course was set for the Cat and Assymetric fleets, though the fast and slow handicap fleets used the same start line and first mark.

-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>