FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instructor's thread.......?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instructor's thread.......?
    Posted: 04 Sep 05 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Binky

Someone said to me that you can d the cousre before you are
16 and then have it signed on your birthday but I'm not sure if
its true or not

When I did my course I was only 15 and had my qualification held until I was 16, so it was possible but that was over at least six years ago. Probably to do with the fact that the course was held at the end of the season & my birthday was before the start of the next. Got a funny feeling I did my my Powerboat course when I was 15 & had people on the course a year younger than us. I'm not too sure but I think at that time our rescue boats were insured for drivers over 14 but that was many years ago and things could have changed since then......
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

ssailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 05 at 10:04pm
well theres no age limit on powerboat driving it just comes down to insurance so they may well of been younger than 16!
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 05 at 10:34pm
According to my book AIs have to be under supervision of an SI and under direct supervision of an instructor. Quite a few places (in my experience anyway) have rules where powerboats have to have PB2 (to hold full PB2 you have to be 16) or you have to be 16 to even learn. Apparently the AI certificate's only valid at the centre it was awarded at, I hadn't realised that before! All these people teaching as AIs/under 16 or whatever, what have you been teaching?

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 1:07am
When I was working as an AI (at 14), we were under the supervision of instructors but at the same time if we were confident enough on a subject we were allowed to teach pretty much anything under supervision. A lot of the time it was on the water and rarely went into theory stuff because the instructors course is based upon how to convey teaching skills and assumes you are very compedent at sailing because you have passed a pre-assessment before.
Helensburgh S.C

ssailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 10:13am
that is true i passes my tidal instructors last week!
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 11:49am
Yer most of the kids i teach have done some sailing before, but haven't quite got the hang of stuff like going to windward, ie. sail in etc., so we're just saying stuff like, " if you're going upwind, where should your sail be" etc.
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 12:59pm
Cool, I wasn't really sure what stuff you were doing. I've only worked with an AI once, and that was someone who was deferred after the DI course for group control. Last year at the centre I work at there were a few trainee instructors - they were people good enough for the DI course but too young, and I don't think there were any AIs this year. My little bro did his AI course this weekend, might ask him what he did on it, I went straight to DI.

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 2:52pm
I worked as an AI for a few years at my club. The basic sail training was held on Tuesday nights and Weekends, where the instructors were teaching the begginners. On a Thursday night, instructor training was carried out for the AI's and was open to Instructors sitting in too, which ran alongside the clubs race training program. We were basically going through the in's & out's of the instructors course at our club with our SI who taught us classroom presentation, etc. The trainee instructors, coming from a racing point of view, usually helped out with the race training because it allowed the trainees to instruct directly from a level of sailing that they were involved with and teaching more compedent sailors seemed to have less complications because they have a sense of what they are doing. Later on as an instructor, we supervised the AI's and gave them enough room to emphasise their confidence. When they were stuck, we subtley stepped in and took over from them. We ran a stage 3 course where at the same time as 2 instructors running the course, we had 3 AIs working for us. Between the 2 of us we were watching the kids and the AI's & throughout the course we were assessing the AI's and at the end of the week it was down to us to say who was suitable for going further on to the instructors course.
Helensburgh S.C

HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 05 at 7:25pm
I just did a one week course and have been teaching ever since... actually i'd been teaching for all of the previous year, but anyway...
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 05 at 8:12pm
i am now a dinghy instructor! Finished the course today and am over the moon.
Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>