New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Another request for advice on the best family boat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another request for advice on the best family boat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdbg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jdbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another request for advice on the best family boat
    Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 4:52pm
I am in my early fifties and reasonably fit. I am looking to introduce my children, aged 13 and 10, to sailing. After doing research on the manufacturer web-sites I had decided to get a Topper Magno (second hand if possible), but then came to these forums, where the boat gets quite a bit of stick. I am trying to work out whether people are judging it too harshly, maybe because it is plastic, or whether it really is a boat to avoid.

To summarise my requirements:
  - I don't want to leave one of the children on the shore, so would want to sail it with the 3 of us
  - At the moment, my son (10) is quite nervous of open water, so I wanted something reasonably stable
  - I would want to sail it initially on a lake (Whitlingham Broad), but later off the North Norfolk coast
  - I want it to be light enough that I can handle it onshore on my own easily
  - I want to do as little maintenance as possible, so definitely not a wooden boat
  - It would be nice to be able to sail it single-handed
  - It would good to feel that the boat would be able to cater for a bit more excitement as the children got older. I learned to sail in a Tideway, at about the same age as my children are now, but quite soon I was wanting more from a boat.

Having read previous forum posts, it would seem that people really like the Laser 2000, which seems a possibility, although it is GRP, so presumably may need more careful looking after. This hadn't come up on my radar when doing research. Is it no longer in production? What would be the good points of the Laser 2000 compared to the Topper Magno?

winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 5:03pm
The laser 2000 is a good boat, though I'm not sure I'd want to single hand one.  It is clearly a well thought through design - everything is very simple and easy to use and maintain - it is nippy if breezy, but still pretty stable, and certainly spacious, with lots of room under the boom.  it is very much still in production.  Two instructors here at Hunts have them, for family sailing and for racing, as does their SI (me) who is in her very late 40s and reasonably fit.  If you want to come down to Hunts (between Cambridge and St Ives) to try one out, drop me a pm.  I might be selling mine, but I've got quite fond of it so I might be keeping it!

Nessa
the same, but different...

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 5:04pm
and I'm not a fan of the magno - all the toper range of bigger boats seem a bit crude and plasticky...just my opnion.
the same, but different...

asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 5:38pm
Hi

the L2000 is a really good boat, it is still in production and there are loads of them.  It is also a very friendly class - there is a lot of information at http://www.laser2000.org.uk/

It is stable, and will take three especially if two are children.  It can be reasonably fast and of course will capsize (like any dinghy) but not if you sail it conservatively.  Definately try one out 
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 11 at 8:54am
Could I add something in here...

Have your kids stepped foot in a boat and understand what goes on? If they do then great, but from your original post you say you want to "introduce" them to sailing.

i like a fair few on here are sailing instructors and would recommend you pop along to Whitlingham OEC (http://www.whitlinghamoec.co.uk/) to try out sailing as a family. According to their site you can "try a wayfarer" as a family and have an instructor in the boat as well, they will be able to give you the intro needed for the family before spending money on a boat that the kids will not like. The other courses available also introduce the kids to sailing (normally run in holidays) to give them experience and knowloedge so they know what to do and are not always learning from you.

As for boats, the Laser 2000 is a great boat and is normally lighter to handle than plasitc ones, as for maintanence, there is not a lot in it, if you handle it with care, it will treat you well. If you want to stop, carry and anchor.

Boat choice also depends on budget. I would recommend seeing the boats up close rather than relying on pictures and websites.
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 11 at 8:48pm
I've got nothing against the Magno as such, but many of us who have sailed dinghies for a long time tend to conclude that the bigger "tupperware" type boats that many of the big manufacturers are pushing now aren't actually that pleasant to sail. Yes they have their place in sailing life, eg perhaps as a hire boat at a training centre where their general indestructability is useful, but for most other uses many more traditional classes will offer a better sailing experience and probably at less cost too. 

Re the Laser2000 - nice boat, lighter than equivalent sized tupperware boats, but there are plenty of alternatives around too. The best advice is to find a local club you like, and look at, talk about, and sail some of the boats that are sailed there. I've seen so many people join our club having bought the latest and greatest plastic fantastic, sail it for a season, then sell it at a substantial loss as they realise they should have bought something more suitable for the water in the first place.
kfz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kfz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 11 at 6:07pm
Some good advice here, but not sure the original poster is around to read it.....
GP14 Fleet Captain
Liverpool Sailing Club

Liverpool SC
jdbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jdbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 11 at 10:45am
Firstly, thanks for all of the advice - it is much appreciated.

Secondly, sorry for going quiet, but I have been away over the weekend - my daughter is keen on dogs, so we took her to Crufts for a birthday treat!

Following Richard's post, I have been in contact with Whitlingham Outdoor Centre. As he suggested, they can meet my immediate needs. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that, following a competency test, they will hire out a boat to me, even though I don't have any recent RYA qualifications. Admittedly, they won't let me take out the children, as everyone aboard has to be competent, but it does add an extra dimension.

If the children love it and want to do more, then hopefully I will return to the dilemma of which boat to buy in the future.

Thanks again,
Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply