FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rethreading a halyard.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rethreading a halyard.
    Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 6:47pm
Today I somehow managed to loose the end of my spinnaker halyard into the mast. Basically the end of the halyard got caught whilst raising the mast and pulled the end that you would use to pull the spinnaker up out of it's block at the bottom of the mast. Any ideas about how I can get the halyard back down so it's usable again? I'm fine with having to take the halyard out completely and starting from scratch, I just need a solution ASAP. Thanks guys :)
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 7:00pm
The standard solution is fishing line and lead weights, but I always find that a hassle. The easiest thing I've ever found is a large reel of multicore solder which is thin flexible and heavy, but isn't readily available. Fencing wire is often good. If you're really lucky and have a stiffish braided rope you might just be able to slide it down.

Its easiest if you take the mast off the boat. Tie up all the other halyards as tightly as possible to reduce the chance of getting the kite hayard wound round them.

The perfect place to do this is the steeply angled side of a raised reservoir which is a really good angle to let the rope slide. Failing that work from the garage/clubhouse roof.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by JimC

The standard solution is fishing line and lead weights, but I always find that a hassle. The easiest thing I've ever found is a large reel of multicore solder which is thin flexible and heavy, but isn't readily available. Fencing wire is often good. If you're really lucky and have a stiffish braided rope you might just be able to slide it down.

Its easiest if you take the mast off the boat. Tie up all the other halyards as tightly as possible to reduce the chance of getting the kite hayard wound round them.

The perfect place to do this is the steeply angled side of a raised reservoir which is a really good angle to let the rope slide. Failing that work from the garage/clubhouse roof.

The fencing wire thing sounds good, I'll give that a go tomorrow morning. If I don't fix it I can't race tomorow, so I hope it works :L
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 7:27pm
a lot of wiggling of mast helps Big smile
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 7:49pm
Best way I havefound is about a metre of bathroom chain(the type which looks like lots of little balls) and some whipping twine. It slides down a treat and doesnt snag.

Re threaded a blokes GP on the beach one day in about ten minutes. Think I saved a domestic as the kids were all waiting to go sailing and the Mrs didnt look impressed that it wasnt ready.
Inland sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Inland sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 8:18pm
Not forgetting the hose trick ...

Insert string with nuts / washers tied on from the top of the club balcony / garage roof / upstairs bedroom window ... then pop the hose in the same hole ... string gets wet and sticks to the lower side if the mast and the running water helps drive the washers/ nuts down ... never fails, unless its freezing of course Thumbs Up
RS300 426 18' SkiffTango Musto 051
B14 644
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 8:21pm
Tried lots of different weights in the past but in the end discovered that most ropes have enough weight on their own as long as you get the mast angled enough and feed the rope in from the top. This means you don't have any hardware inside the mast to get snagged or requiring retrieval. You do need to pull all the other halyards tight first though to stop them getting snagged or twisted.
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by rogerd

Best way I havefound is about a metre of bathroom chain(the type which looks like lots of little balls) and some whipping twine. It slides down a treat and doesnt snag.

Re threaded a blokes GP on the beach one day in about ten minutes. Think I saved a domestic as the kids were all waiting to go sailing and the Mrs didnt look impressed that it wasnt ready.

+1

Toolbox always has the chain in it...
Nick
D-Zero 316

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 11 at 11:17pm
The boats at the sailing club now so a hose isn't really available. I'll try the bathroom chain, the wire and I'll try just pushing the rope down too.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 11 at 8:54am
enlist help. It's a lot easier as a two person job.
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>