FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underhand tactics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underhand tactics
    Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 3:31pm

Whilst everyone would like to believe that all sailors are all rule abiding for the entire race, there comes a time in every sailor’s career when they feel the need to go beyond the rules to get some kind of advantage.

What tricks have you done or seen done that have impressed you without the committee or jury noticing or taking action?

I have to admit that I often find myself deliberately letting go of the tiller just before the start to give the impression of not being in total control of the boat!  It’s amazing how much room you get to windward at the start line!

The most audacious move that I have seen is that a boat capsized just before a gybe mark, drifted downwind a bit and headed off to the leeward mark without rounding the gybe mark.  They got away with it too, lucky 's!!!

The idea of this thread is to give us all light amusement (instead of position of the fortnight, try manoeuvre of the week), but also give us something to look out for people doing on the racecourse…

Life's a reach, then you gybe
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 5:09pm
I dont know about ones that people have got away with but I can give masses on the most stupid time/place to try an underhand tactic. ie finnish line for a port and starboard incident and not doing turns  doh
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 6:30pm
I'm sure I've had a spinnaker sheet or the spinnaker itself touch a mark and I've ignored it - I'm sorry to say.  But here's a tip, at a distance its not too clear if somebody has touched a mark or not, since the bow wave often just pushes a small mark slightly out of line without contact.  However if there has been contact the mark will rotate slightly.
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 7:03pm

I understand the thread was mean to be light amusement but I simply cannot agree with:

Whilst everyone would like to believe that all sailors are all rule abiding for the entire race, there comes a time in every sailor’s career when they feel the need to go beyond the rules to get some kind of advantage.

If you win by cheating then what is the point? Now obviously there are some grey areas. For example how much room is required? Roll to promote steering or just to propel the boat?

BUT People who would miss out marks on purpose etc. should be banned from the sport. I simply can not understand how anyone could do this!

ssailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 7:31pm
Yeh i agree with what you have said there jon, however for the purpose of this thread maybe we should put in stories about things we have seen other people do, if even just for the sheer amasement that anyone could be stupid/cheap enough to try it!!

Theres always those few that will try to get away with things that they know are wrong, maybe here we should voice things we have SEEN solely purposely for a laugh!

By the way did you know that in the 18ft skiff class are allowed to hit their tillers against the mark, not suprising really with 4m+ long tillers!! Ours on the 14 are 2m exactly and that seems stupidly long!
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.
ianwat2212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianwat2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 8:07pm
When I sailed toppers I met some1 who trailed his mainsheet out the back of the boat when goin upwind on starboard in the hope that some1 whould hit it & thus have 2 do turns, I dont recall it ever working tho.
Fireball RSA 14723
Simonis 35 "Scarlet Sun" SA 1500
Royal Cape Yacht Club
squeek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote squeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 8:30pm
at 29er  nats my big sis looped her kite sheet round one of the leeward gates, dragged it so it was dead downwind of the other leward gate.
along comes me wondering whats up with the gate marks( not knowing its my bl**dy sisters doing ), can't  tell which way your menna go through, go through wrong way and so dont get a finish!!
however i did get a spot prize 4 the incident!!
according 2 big sis this was all apparently unintentional....hum i wonder
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 8:52pm
someone stole the bung out of the back of my laser when it was mored up on a pontoon one day, i didn't realise till after the race, still beat the guy that did it tho .  I always check my bungs now. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 9:59pm
got barged off a finish line at this years nationals by the class chairman
lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 05 at 12:19am
New to the club and rounding the leeward mark on the inside in my Laser.  Sheeted in and pulled the Commodore out of his Wayfarer by the neck - that'll teach him not to get too close at the leeward mark!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>