FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

making trapezing easier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
rickstar 1027 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making trapezing easier
    Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 2:51pm
Ruscoe i know what you mean however he has helped me with what ive got and how to do it easily
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 2:54pm
Simronh  i have been having a look on that website for a while however when i click register it just pops a screen up saying you need to login to veiw this page which is stupid because im trying to register so i can veiw more pages Cry
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 3:23pm
Website seems to be down at the moment (at least from here).

There was a special way of registering on the site if I remember as the obvious button didn't work properly. Once i can get ont here again I can send you the link?
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 3:51pm
Something does seem to be up, I believe you used to follow the link on the "Class associtation" page to get registered. But this now goes to the "you aren't registered page".

If you go to the "contact us" page I think it is Phil W who does the website registrations (or can sort you out if not?)
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 4:21pm
ok thanks i ve emailed him now
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
sten View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 5:05pm
to  make tacking easier, break the tack down into smaller parts like steering, where you step, what you do to swap hands with the main sheet, hooking on and off the wire. then practice each one on its own and slowly to start with so you get it right before putting it all together.

ie try just hooking on and off in a straight line without coming in.
it will be important to set your handle height so your arm is straight so you can just put your shoulder down and hips up to unhook
also tense the palm of the hand to take your weight instead of gripping with fingers or you little finger gets crushed. and you will think your not strong enough to hold on.
make sure the elastic isn't all twisted or making the ring hang at a odd angle

steering a long smooth curve will give you lots of time to cross the boat and get sorted also making it easier to keep your balance.

foot work is important not to spend to long at the back draging the transom. also you can put a hand down to give more stablity and help with getting up after ducking the boom.

here is a clip of a mustoskiff tacking which may help even though its a different class
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 5:39pm
its funny really i am at a very high standard in the laser and i have moved on to this and im back to basics :P
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
Hector View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 6:51pm
Sten  - good to see you're still around on here.
As usual Sten has it right. I train Vortex sailors to break it down - get one part right before moving on.
One correction to earlier advice - do not sheet out until level with the turret. Also minimise movements on the boat - IE Do not uncleat (Slows Boat),  come in(Slows Boat)  sit - or probably 'thud' down,(Slows Boat)  sheet out some more(Slows Boat) shuffle across boat on knees in 3 or 4 movements (Slows Boat) (Slows Boat) (Slows Boat) (Slows Boat) sit down again,(Slows Boat)  hook on (Slows Boat) shuffle out in two or three movements (You get the message).

In a Vortex speed into the tack, a smooth arc and minimum disturbance to momentum results in a completed tack at speed rather than sitting in irons. The class association pdf are well worth a look as they describe all the techniques needed to get a Vortex moving fast and keep it going, as well as rigging tips and settings. The site has been the victim of dozens of phishing / email spam attacks with an amazing amount of interest in registering from Nigeria, Russia and other exotic climes, so its had to be suspended while it's sorted out.
Hope the problems with registering are solved soon.
Keith
29er 661 (with my daughters / nephew)
49er 688 (with Phil P)
RS200 968
Vortex (occasionally)
Laser 2049XX
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 6:59pm
Not a vortex sailor but I do have a Contender.

some tips

might help to tie the tail of the sheet in the boat, that way you don't loose it all overboard.

I don't use a hook for the mainsheet. 

Ease enough mainsheet as you come in so as you go out the other side you can make progress without being overpowered, what seems slow is often very fast!  Don't rush! Since balance is the key heeling too soon because you have too much power is really slow.

To come in I use the handle, to go out I clip on first, as I push with my legs I sheet in...

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 8:37pm
If you do one thing to make your vortex sailing better - listen to Keith (Hector).
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>