FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advise on a good wood filler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doomie22 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote doomie22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on a good wood filler
    Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 4:27pm
Hi all,

I am still working on my 1st ever boat and I have nearly got all the paint removed but I know that I have a leak on the boat.

This is a crack on the wood under the water line (its what damage we actually did when I was getting the boat and we damaged it getting it back on the trailer.

Can anyone recommend a really good wood filler that will rescue this boat and seal that crack please?

Thanks,

Doomie
rogerd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 4:56pm
Doomie, a bit more info about the boat would help. and pics of the damage even more helpful. There is a huge amount of knowledge on www.cvrda.org. they could give you the best answers.
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 6:54pm
Epoxy ? Look at the West System webpage lots of articles like:-
didlydon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 11 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by kevg

Epoxy ? Look at the West System webpage lots of articles like:-
Yep.+1. Make sure it's good & dried out first though.  
Vareo 365

doomie22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote doomie22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 11 at 9:25am
Here is a picture of the crack in question.

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 11 at 6:13pm
Get all the paint off the boat, because some of that wood looks quite dark which might mean it's wet, and paint will just trap the wet inside, then you need to turn the boat over, open the crack up a bit and abrade well round the edges.  Can you get at the crack from inside?  If so, I'd be looking at a patch with some fibreglass tape at the very least, and far better to put it inside than out (of course then you need the boat the right way up.  I would ideally tape and epoxy it inside, then turn it over and dribble epoxy into the crack so it's well covered, then sand back.  If you can't get inside (if it's inside a tank or something) you might have to tape the outside instead.

I am not an expert at this, there might be others along who can advise you better.  As has been said, this is real cvrda stuff!  http://www.cvrda.org/community/
the same, but different...

kfz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kfz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 9:22am
Doomie,
That does look a bit wet.  needs to dry out.

I as per above Id use a marine epoxy, thickened with microfibres (or wood shavings if you varnishing). Any decent chandler will stock,  it will cost a little money, but as its below waterline you need it fixed properly, you dont want it interrupting your sailing mid season. 

I'd also drill two holes right in the crack face to relive the stress concentration stop it propagating any further. 

Kev
GP14 Fleet Captain
Liverpool Sailing Club

Liverpool SC
 Post Reply Post Reply