FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V Twin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 142>
Author
Peaky View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 1:19pm
One other thing - that forward skeg type thing might make it directionally unstable (a bit like throwing a dart backwards).
oldarn View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oldarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Peaky

I reckon you'll want a pretty big rig with that hull as the initial stability, righting moment and wetted surface area are all very high. Maybe an RS700 rig?

What about your AltO Superspar mast! you can then dump that Superspar gnav disaster, and go for a carbon boom with kicker and we'll sort a Selden system for your AltO.
thefastexcitingrunningasymmetric
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 1:36pm
Its a question of steps and getting bits right, when designing boards, we never did both together, it's three elements that need sorting, the Rig, the foil and the hull.

Stage one get the hull designed, costed and off to the millers.
The foil I'm going to go with a proven design to start with, blag a Contender Foil
The rig I'm only using it because i have one and access to it. If the hull concept works then next stage is to rig it, I'm thinking why not blag a Halo rig off mike for example, no point is spending time and money on re inventing an engine if there's already one that works.

It's one thing day dreaming all this stuff on sketch pads, but once it starts becoming reality you realise the enormity of the tasks, so the first thing is to get Dan out on the water jollying along to find out how bad all the bad bits we're worrying about are actually going to be.

As to the whys and wherefores. I want it to be potentially as fast as at least a Contender, with eyes on an MPS/700, yet it be a doddle to sail. I dont want it to fall over if I let it go, I want to be able to get back in or on it easily if I fall off and I don't really want to fall off it ever really. I don't want to have to do all that ungainly butt dragging in order to make it go half decently when it's a hiker and I want to be able to quickly strip it of the benches if it looks like trapeze weather.
I don't want any nose dive pitch pole nonesense when we're fully lit with a bit of a sea running,  I also hope to be able to 'fly' a hull in early displacement weather, yet flatten it down and be capable of footing off and flying upwind on the plane even with a little light gremlin at the helm like a widestyle formula windsurf board.

Lots of wants.

Then I'm nearer now than I was last week.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 1:44pm
Love the energy and concept, just can't see this shape being fast. Its fine reducing wetted surface area, but in this design unless you are very well forward with lots of rocker, those aft landing craft styli sponsons are surely going to fail to create much planing pressure and create loads of drag. Combine than with the slightly chubby front half to stop in the waves and it doesn't look like  a quick sea boat. As said above a surface piercing centreboard  Shocked ......will need a horizontal fence at best, but why would you.

Depends what you want to achieve Graeme an endless development boat for yourself or 'the answer'

I still think you start from the tunnel scow/moth/vortex concept and go either self tacking jib OR Asy. 

Have you tried a vortex yet ? It might just surprise you. Ask Keith Escrit good /bad comparisons with the 100, he sails both.  Must be a few lying around the Kentish marshlands........ improve the deck layout and more buoyancy forward. It might just surprise you.

Blaze...HALO.... déjà vu
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by oldarn

[QUOTE=G.R.F.]
There is a certain wind strength/sailing angle at which the vortex takes off with incredible acceleration.  I guess the tunnel effect comes in.
Mike

There are better vortexers out there who can explain the "why" probably but yes it does seem to really get a shift on once it gets "one" hull up (halves drag?), the leeward, canted foil seems to start getting a bit of lift and the back 1/3 of the boat unsticks.

The class are currently in the early stages currently of trying to get updates and new moulds going.
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 5:39pm
Some more renders I twice lost today trying to upload

Will it be fast?
Well, that's to find out and if I don't try I'll never know and will always wonder.

It aint going to be foiler fast, but I reckon on flattish water 3 sail reaching it'll have some moments and of course there will be light conditions where if we don't do it right with the rockers, it could suck.

What do I want to achieve?
A boat that will give Dumb & Dumberer folk a good view from behind, of me sailing it in buttless chaps.

The Answer?

Everyone knows where that is.... At the bottom of a Pint of Stella (or two).

One thing is clear, if it does work Dan Holman & Jamie Stewart will get the credit and if it doesn't guess who'll look the plonker Rodney?

Edited by G.R.F. - 19 Jan 11 at 5:45pm
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 5:42pm

Needs to sail more...
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 5:54pm
I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 6:12pm
Here's one I did earlier for Graeme  ( exactly a year ago!)

Edited by I luv Wight - 19 Jan 11 at 6:13pm

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
WoodenBoatLuvver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote WoodenBoatLuvver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 6:23pm
So which one can we'al reliably and holding in bated breaths of virtual reality, expect to see at Alley Pally come March(2011?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 142>