FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V Twin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 142>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V Twin
    Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:01pm
Got my first Cad renders today, they'd been in the junk mail since yesterday hopefully not trying to tell me something..

I'm amazed Dan managed to even render anything sensible from the kids scrawl I gave him.

It's getting exciting now, even have some performance readings which at this stage are not good, it's a little too fat, I shall run this thread as it happens, be an interesting insight into how boats get developed

Don't take anything from this other than it's now in a computer and can be messed with before pushing the build me a proto button. I think at this stage I'm just going to build a hull and fit my RS10.4 rig to it, see if the additional righting moment might give me the ability to use it in over 8 knots.

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:08pm

Underside for those new to my little eccentricities. (Which is to build a boat which is both fast and easy to handle whilst not being entirely a Cat.)

Edited by G.R.F. - 18 Jan 11 at 5:10pm
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:19pm
Hi Graham
At present it looks like the love child of a vortex and fireball.
I am sure once tweaked it will be fine.Good Luck.
Regards
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

Underside for those new to my little eccentricities. (Which is to build a boat which is both fast and easy to handle whilst not being entirely a Cat.)

They already exist. They're called motor boats. The real fun of sailing dinghies is in the challenges they present. Get rid of the challenges and you make it boring to sail.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:20pm
it looks like a laser /fireball from the side view, but then the others give the game away.  How wide is it - do you need two rudders?

also

"before pushing the build me a proto button"

have you got one of those nice new 3D printer thingys Wink?

Edited by asterix - 18 Jan 11 at 5:26pm
WoodenBoatLuvver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote WoodenBoatLuvver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:27pm

Edited by WoodenBoatLuvver - 22 Jan 11 at 6:05pm
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

Get rid of the challenges and you make it boring to sail.

There will be plenty of other things to 'do' to alleviate boredom, including hopefully a full sliding mast track with maybe 60 cms travel, plus the assym kite, plus the swivel pole, with maybe a jib on it's own boom.

1st things first, check the boat works and there's no issues with cavitation or aeration of the centreboard, which will be bigger than that illustrated. Then decide how big a rig it'll take, with genuine upwind planing in mind.

Lots to do

So little time.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

Originally posted by G.R.F.

They already exist. They're called motor boats. The real fun of sailing dinghies is in the challenges they present. Get rid of the challenges and you make it boring to sail.

All boats have challenges no matter the static stability.

The Weta seems to be selling quite well, which is a very stable Tri. I'm sure it has it challenges.

I admire people that think out side the box and don't hold to the current dogma.

Hope it works out well GRF.

(edit spelling)

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 18 Jan 11 at 5:31pm
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:34pm
presumably you've trawled through all the detail on tunnel hull moths?

the rig says 'contender'

the same, but different...

cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 5:39pm
Nice project - good luck. Looking forward to reading further instalments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 142>