FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rigging a 505

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Creaky View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rigging a 505
    Posted: 06 Jun 05 at 8:14pm

hi, i have a 1988 parker 505, it did have a leak and is now fixed, its pretty much bare hull!!!! i loove it in this state, so simple.

i am now onto the fun part, rigging! if anyone wants to help me i would be very grateful. i not sure if there are standard kickers/vangs, outhaul, elastic for trapeze, pole downhaul. etc. since i am new to the class.

i was hoping via pictures which would be brillant but whatevers good

nick (o and very limited budget)

p.s the only rigging i have redone so far is the self launching pole, this is not the new system, rope goes into the back end of the pole, up to mast where it goes down a pulley which is attached to an eye mounted on the mast and then down to another pulley mounted in the front deck and locks of through a cleat, an elastic pulls is back in

Nick
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 05 at 8:17pm
and i forgot to mention i am looking for a new or working order furler to fit this boat, it has to the percific one becuase the front is shaped for it, part goes into the boat and part is out, strange i'll get a picture
Nick
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 12:33am
Nick
Garry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 05 at 8:03am

Have you tried the fastsail website?  http://www.fastsail.org.

and where are you?

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Phil B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 5:08pm
You can refurbish the Parker jib furler fairly easily.

Removal from the boat
Under the tape shown on the photo should be a rubber bung (might be missing) behind that is a pin that holds the bottom part of the furler inside a tube fixed to the hull. Carefully remove the pin with a pair of tweezers. The whole furler should now come out of the hull.

To refurbish the furler
At the bottom of the top part of the furler (underneath the eye of the jib luff wire) is a noeprene or similar seal. Remove that and teh bottom of the furler will push out through the top part. Catch all the ball bearings that fall out. Replace the ball bearings, ideally with stainless steel ones, but cheap steel ones come from the cycle shop and as long as the ball race is packed with waterproof grease, they will last a long time. Make sure the ball races do not have any dings in either of them to ensure smooth running.

To replace
Assemble in reverse order, packing well with grease. Fit the furler back into the boat and replace the pin. If it doesn't have one already, drill a small hole in the end of the pin and thread a thin piece of line through it to make it easier to get out next time. Replace bung or tape. Go sailing!

Hope that helps

Crewman
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 8:01pm

thanks alot

thats amazing,

been waiting so long for a reply

will post rersults

Nick
lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 05 at 8:51am

the international 505 website has loads of pictures of people doing up 5oh's.

www.int505.org

Not convinced on having a jib furler as it means you can't have a jib cunningham on.  I'm going to modify my boat to have transom sheeted main, seems to make the boat much faster upwind.

Life's a reach, then you gybe
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 05 at 6:28pm

do you mean an aft main, like the rs 800 and cherubs have changed to.

my 505 has a lowered back and i am working on a plan on how to raise it up to the transom bar.

i also snapped the spinnaker sheet on the solent last weekend, but was an amzing blast, force 5 to 6 i recon, perfect weather, had the boat going over 12 knots, resucue boat could keep up. loved it, the 505 is such an amzing boat. nothing like it in my mind. did you do the nationals?

nick

Nick
lozza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 05 at 8:48am

Yeah,

Nice F6+ on the thursday with very steep chop, ripped the lower pintels out the boat.  Could have been worse, there were 4 mast breakages!!!

The aft sheeting has a split tail main sheet attached to the back of the gunwhales.  Can you post a picture of the layout of the cockpit?

Life's a reach, then you gybe
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 05 at 11:43am
How is aft sheeting quicker upwind? And is it proper aft sheeting with the sheet coming from the back, or is it the sort that runs along the boom like lasers have?
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>