FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet traveller vs bridle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Webmuppet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet traveller vs bridle
    Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 12:43pm

Hi Folks,

I would ask this question on the Graduate forum but a) it's a bit quiet on there and b) it's a fairly general question:

Our ancient Super Grad came with a stern mounted traveller, however most Graduates seem to use a simple bridle/horse arrangement so I converted mine to that format. Aesthetically the boat looks a bit weird without the traveller because it was obviously designed to have one and I'm tempted to reinstall it. What are the advantages of using the traveller ? and how would we use it ? (the previous owner had locked the traveller at the centre and left it there. As I'm new to sailing 'double-handers' I don't want to find myself with too many controls, especially if they don't offer any advantages. Just in case it's relevant we use off the boom sheeting with a 40mm Harken ratchet mounted on the boom,

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel

I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 2:18pm
Travellers date back to the old days before really efficient kickers when the mainsail leech tension and mast bend was controlled by the mainsheet. The idea was that you could let the traveller run out in higher winds so that you could sheet the main in hard whilst keeping the boom well off the centre line. OK until you get a gust and have to ease the mainsheet when the mast straightens and the sail gets fuller. So it didn't work well in practice. Most owners will have either replaced it or just left the traveller in the centre and upgraded the kicker.

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 2:37pm
Interesting this discussion should happen along just now, I've been going through this exact same thinking with my new boat.

I fancied a bit of a traveller arrangement mounted on a bridge above the tiller so I could do away with all that rope intefering with the wiggle stick as it seems to at only the most inconvenient moments.

They're trying to talk me out of it into some other subterranean system I haven't quite worked my head around yet, but if it were me, and it were already there, I'd use it personally, I hate those what do you call them? Horse things?
Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

Travellers date back to the old days before really efficient kickers when the mainsail leech tension and mast bend was controlled by the mainsheet. The idea was that you could let the traveller run out in higher winds so that you could sheet the main in hard whilst keeping the boom well off the centre line. OK until you get a gust and have to ease the mainsheet when the mast straightens and the sail gets fuller. So it didn't work well in practice. Most owners will have either replaced it or just left the traveller in the centre and upgraded the kicker.

Thanks for that Paul, we have already upgraded the kicker and cunningham to a higher ratio so they shouldn't be a problem, however I'm still tempted to refit the traveller just 'cos it looks a bit odd without it. I was just hoping that somebody might be able to justify its presence, but if it's only going to be of use in strong winds that shouldn't affect us as we probably wouldn't go out if it's blowing hard (boat was purchased to sail with my daughter), 

Cheers,

Nigel

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
ham4sand View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 4:25pm
Whatever happens that's a nice looking graduate
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 4:41pm
Nigel,

From a purely retro aesthetics viewpoint I'd agree that it'd look better with the traveller back on. Just don't expect it to be anything more useful than misplaced ballast  Wink As ham4sand says it's nice grad you've got there  Smile
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 5:22pm
Thanks for your positive comments, we've been very surprised how much fun the Grad has been -my daughter who had completely lost her confidence is now very keen on racing the Grad in the handicap fleet ....roll on some warmer weather !

Team Graduate hard at work on the Graduate's initial clean-up 

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 5:33pm
Nigel, its seems your traveller enquiry has been answered.  I would leave the bar on the boat, just for cosmetic reasons.

On another note, i am/have been on the lookout for a grad to sail with my daughter, preferably a super grad as i don't want to be painting a boat every year like i am with the mirror.  We bought the mirror to teach my little girl to sail and to be honest i think the graduate is better suited, mainly because we can have fun racing against some faster the boats then drifting along in the mirror.

If anyone knows of an Old Grad that needs a home, let me know.  It could actually turn out to be the ultimate pimp project!
Mark Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 6:35pm

Specific to the Grad, you do need to use a high bridle system in order to get the boom centrelined without causing the top batten to stall. To get the best out of the totally optional sheeting arrangements of the Grad, which can have the jib clew being brought as close as 250mm from the centreline, you need the main out of the way of the slot.

Staying with the old deck mounted traveller system would mean that the downward thrust of the sheeting would cause the top batten to stall before you got the main in enough to be out of the way of the slot.

I’d have a look at Steve Cockerill’s set up for his Rooster Grad for guidance on what best to do

For any other potential parent/child team out there, I thought I’d let you know that next years nationals will be at Stewartby SC – 30th April to 2nd May.

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 10 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Mark Antony

Specific to the Grad, you do need to use a high bridle system in order to get the boom centrelined without causing the top batten to stall. To get the best out of the totally optional sheeting arrangements of the Grad, which can have the jib clew being brought as close as 250mm from the centreline, you need the main out of the way of the slot.

Staying with the old deck mounted traveller system would mean that the downward thrust of the sheeting would cause the top batten to stall before you got the main in enough to be out of the way of the slot.

I’d have a look at Steve Cockerill’s set up for his Rooster Grad for guidance on what best to do

For any other potential parent/child team out there, I thought I’d let you know that next years nationals will be at Stewartby SC – 30th April to 2nd May.

Yup spot on... if you want it to point as well as other Grads then you have to bring the jib fair leads in... and then centering the boom, whilst not stalling the top of the sail, is essential to getting it all to work.

If your sailing for fun then it doesn't matter much but if you want to race then a well set up Grad will out point just about any thing.

Ian 
RS300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>