FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Phantom mast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tickler View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Phantom mast?
    Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 1:17pm
I see that there is a new Phantom mast available. The specification indicates that it is a further development........on a non "development" class. Here we go again!!
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 1:51pm
Wrong.. The phantom is a one design within a set of defined boundaries, so not a strict one design. The phantom is not a smod.
This allows a certain amount of flexibility within the rules, very similar to a lot of classes. The hull is reasonably tightly controlled, indeed all plastic hulls must come from one licensed mould and are currently built at Ovi's. The mast is only controlled by the height, posn of gooseneck, etc. It must also be able to pass through a ring no larger than 100mm (spreaders excluded). It has always been this way. In fact there have always been different masts, seldon, superspars, cst, and in the needlespar and the like. As long as the thing conforms to the rules it can change as much as it likes. There are bendy ones, stiff ones, etc. Shrouds must not be adjustable but lowers can, etc. These rules were set out in 1971 and carbon was allowed some time back. If a new mast is available it is nothing that hasn't gone on for years. So whats new?

Edited by maxibuddah - 21 Oct 10 at 2:02pm
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 2:04pm
I think its great that there are still one designs around which allow choice of kit to suit a particular sailor.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 2:36pm
Yep you're right there Rupert. The change to carbon and the various different mast combinations allowed the minimum sensible weight for a helm to reduce from about 15 stone down to about 13 stone. Has made the class a lot more accessible, but of course upsets lardarses like me when its light. Still love it though.
As a thought on the class rules, there is nothing in the rules to stop you from creating a rotating mast, though not sure what use it would be without a wing mast, but that wouldn't be legal as it wouldn't fit through the 100mm ring constraint.
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:13pm
I found the Phantom rig massively controlable.  As soon as you got overpowered you rake back and bung on a load of kicker.  it takes about 5 seconds to adjust on the water, no messing about with Pins.  One of the reasons i was a ttracked to the Phantom was that you can toy with rig/sail set-up.  As mentioned before it is not an SMOD more of a restricted development class.  The Phantom rules also dont rule out things like T-foil rudders!!!!!!!
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:17pm
So are both those Phantoms I saw at the dinghy show, one by Van der Craft and the other (to crowded to get a good look) built with a traveller by Bobs Bits or some similar sounding outfit, both actually based on hulls built by Ovington?

The reason I'm interested, its time my pal upgraded, hording his millions and using and an ancient old polyester tub, he's getting quite good at it now. Sensible chap not like me he's stuck with the same boat and slowly got to learn the hang of it. That and it's a fecking bandit he beats me with now, so at the very least he should pay proper money for that privilege.

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:18pm
I haven't seen any info on this new mast or where to look for it, can anyone enlighten me please?
As for the skinny stick, none of the lightweights i know with them suffer any probs in the lighter stuff as you don't work the mast that much in the light stuff

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:28pm
I haven't seen any info on this new mast or where to look for it, can anyone enlighten me please?
As for the skinny stick, none of the lightweights i know with them suffer any probs in the lighter stuff as you don't work the mast that much in the light stuff
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:30pm
Hmm I thought you actually need a bendier mast in light stuff to assist in keeping the flow going, least you do with boards and I'm light anyway. That's what i think the problem is with the 8.4 sail on the Rs100 in low winds, the mast is a bit too stiff for the available sail area to twist open, that and it's cut with a degree of mast pre bend defined by the sail which massively pre tightens the leech, another no no in light wind. 

It would probably also explain why they recommend massive cunningham, sorry red herring, but mast stiffness alone doesn't always deliver what you might want unless the sail and sail controls are cut to deal with it. This much I do know lots about.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 3:31pm
So, back on topic, is there a sailmaker that supplies a sail matched to a carbon mast yet for this new rule?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>