FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dear Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>
Author
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dear Dave
    Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 5:17pm
NEC hall 4 or 5, ICC at Brum, Stoneleigh Park, no idea about cost of these halls but experience in my day job says these guys want their halls filled and will cut you a deal right about now if you contract to do so....
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 5:37pm
It could be worse - it could be in the Dome...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 8:19pm
CP was crazy, not just because it was so hard to get to but because it was hopeless as a venue. It was a maze of tiny halls, but at least you could sail Toppers in the pool.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 8:53pm

Ally Pally would be better if the old station round the back was still open.

Might not be the easiest place in the country to get to, but it's better than most London venues* plus it does have character. I'd melt the ice rink and turn that into a demo pool though  Evil Smile

At least it isn't that soul-less warehouse of despondency that is ExCeL.

*OK, Earl's Court is easier by public transport, but is an even worse nightmare for those coming by road

-_
Al
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 8:58pm
What's  the matter with you lot Angry

One of you is losing the wife for a couple of days and is wondering if he should drink and watch some rugby.

Another is whining about having a sore knee and needing to buy a boat with a trampoline (was wondering how long the RS100 would last Wink)

The rest are moaning about how difficult it is to get a bus or train so they can look at some boats.

Fortunately Mr GRF is present to bring some sanity to this thread and talk sense.

To the rest of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwaX2AAAlQ

Edited by bigwavedave - 02 Mar 11 at 8:59pm
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 10:10pm
I'm fine with the hill from the mainline station, but I've got the parents in tow this year.  
-_
Al
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 8:55am
Ha, you know what, you've probably got me to blame for it being at Ally Pally, it's a long story, but basically back in the day, the dinghy show was at Crystal Palace after it left Pickets Lock, we were running a show for windsurfing and cut a tight deal with the Ally Pally mob, we eventually got the RYA involved with our show, which used to occur a week or two later, anyway long story cut short we sold it, couple of years later it moved then failed and the Dinghy Show was able to take our slot.

It is a nightmare venue to get to, hence why it's reasonably priced, that show couldn't afford to be at the NEC and there are or were other incentives with rail & tube advertising, the parking on site isn't too bad if you get there early and they used to run a shuttle up from the tube station, do they still do that I wonder.

Anyway it could be worse, they could run it in frikken Telford and we could all get supersized and buy Phantoms..
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 9:18am
they run a shuttle from the tube station, but it seems to whiz straight past the mainline station (unless the stop is on the far side from the Palace?)
-_
Al
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 10:37am
There was a bus fromt he train station the last time I went. It passed me several times while i was walking up the hill.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 10:43pm
Just take the car. A lot easier to take all your show purchases home with you that way!
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>