FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foredeck/Bow Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foredeck/Bow Tips
    Posted: 10 Oct 10 at 8:49pm
Hi, I've recently been doing some foredecking on an Elan 333. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to help me out, just to make my job a bit easier and a bit more smooth? Thank you :)
ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 8:35am
Quagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 10:27am
Try reading through this thread (yes its long) there is loads of useless waffle but also everything you ever wanted to know about doing bow.

Mister Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 5:19pm
Thanks guys. I'll take a look :)
Hughph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hughph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 8:21pm
Beware- the foredeck union might be unwilling to share trade secrets :P  The best advice I can probably give is make sure you have gone through every manoeuvre before you race so If it happens to be a windward-gybe-drop from hell then you can keep control of the situation. Also, when it's windy- make sure someone puts on the pole downhaul before it skyes into your face!
Gritts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gritts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 11 at 3:43pm
Be careful when tripping the kite... If you are above it then it will hit you...

H4marine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote H4marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 9:38am
Make sure you have a cockpit person that understands what you are doing and the problems you face....like being ready to ease lines to allow you to get the pole on the mast if you are end for ending the pole (which I guess you will on a smallish boat like the elan?)

Most of making your job easier is having good (visual) communication to the cockpit, they need to watch you and your ropes as they can't hear you oif it's breezy. If you hoist jump the kite at the mast they need to tell you if the rope gets caught and they are not able to tail it through a jammer is a classic issue... or if you are moving the guys and sheets to the other side the cockpit crew needs to feed them to you or you get stuck halfway with the helm shouting get off the foredeck!

It's the best place on the boat next to steering though.
sailonline.org sailport.se
 Post Reply Post Reply