FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carbon fibre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stuarthop View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carbon fibre
    Posted: 23 May 05 at 7:07pm
How similar is laying up carbon fibre to fibreglass as i plan to make some new parts for my scorpion

Mike278 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 7:33pm
For information on carbon fibre try looking here http://www.mci.i12.com/carbon/index.htm , it's not boat related but gives general information

Edited by Mike278
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 9:17pm

Hand lay-up is the same pretty much, just remember that keeping the resin content down is important to keep the end product as efficient as possible.  I think there is some good info on www.sailboat-technology.com but I don't know how well the site is working at the moment.  Also speak to retailers/suppliers for hints. 

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 9:32pm

roughly the same but the effect of vac-bagging and heat curing is amplified and kjeeping the resin content down is key for carbon fibre although getting the right weave for the task is also a crucial factor

what is it you are making just out of interest?

Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 9:32pm
Try the UK Cherub site and or the email group there are alot of very
experiance carbon composite people that are on the email group who are
always willing to give very good advice. We also have a selction of ' how
to do' mpeg downloadable videos and a lot of technical pages. go here:

http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/chframe.php?menu=build
Granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 10:08pm
One of the big difficulties with wetting out carbon  is ensuring that the resin content is  right over the whole peice of cloth.  I like to use a  peice of  plastic like a  credit card to spread the resin out. It helps to have good lighting  so you can see any dry patches. It is also good to get the slow  epoxy and heat the resin before you wet out so that is soaks into the cloth quicker.
Peel ply is great for smoothing down the laminate and gives a good finish for the next stage of layup.
If you can get some sort of pressure on the layup while it is curing either by vacum bagging or using heat shrink tape or even electrical tape that realy helps to consolidate the whole thing and makes the layers stick together better.

If you are going to sand carbon watch out as the dust will irritate more than glass and it can fry your power tools.
If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
 Post Reply Post Reply