FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another rule 42 debate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chrisg View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another rule 42 debate
    Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 1:00pm
A quick one, are you allowed one pump per wave or gust no matter what the conditions, even in non-planing conditions on a flat lake?

I'd say not. Ive read the interpretations in here and confused myself: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/42interprets2005book-%5b7233%5d.pdf

If there is no possible way that a boat will plane in the given wind strength surely that means you cannot even try to induce it.

If you are allowed then as I sail on a lake and my boat spans at least 2 waves surely this will lead to an air rowing competition a la windsurfing....

Thoughts please.
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 1:45pm
You read right, it specifically says in 42.3(c) 'when surfing... or planing is possible' And it specifies 'initiate' too, not maintain.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 1:50pm
If there is absolutey no possible way that planing or surfing would be acheivable, I'd say the conditions were probably light enough that pumping would end up slowing them down. 
I believe there is a difference between regularly playing the main and 'pumping' so be careful not to accuse someone of cheating when they could infact just be very obsessive about having those telltales flying absolutely perfectly. 

I remember two coaches having a bit of a discussion in front of us kids (yeah ok, this was a long time ago)  on how big a wave had to be before it was considered surfable.  One was of the opinion that would shouldn't have been pumping.  The other (and I believe quite rightly) said, "so exactly how tall in mm should a wave be before they can pump?  I don't think anyone's about to carry rulers around the race course.  If they're not succeeding to surf, doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try." 

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 2:04pm
Its an interesting one... If you catch a wave right it will for sure accellerate the boat, even if its not up to planing speed... rescue boat wakes can be great for this as can other boats... Rs400s, for instance kick up a great wake for grabbing some speed from...
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 3:07pm
The rule is clear. Consider how judges operate. They ask first if planing or surfing conditions exist (there might just be the one wave as when a wake goes through). If not then pumping is prohibited.

If conditions do exist then one pump per sheet per wave to initiate planing or surfing. Once planing or surfing then pumping is not allowed.

Gordon
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply