FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Wetsuit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Wetsuit
    Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 2:58pm
how far into winter do you want to go? And how 'ard are you? There are mentals that'll be seen in snow in 3/4 lengths (without race skin- thoiugh presumably with lots of warm upper body layers).
-_
Al
asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 3:43pm
the anser is probably not 'ard enough by far, but thanks - I think I'll give it a go and see how deep into winter I get.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 3:58pm
I have to admit, I take one look at those guys (whilst wearing a snug 5/3, sometimes with Gul Evotherm long jons and top underneath, plus hikers plus spray top) and think "they must be mad". They are.
-_
Al
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by asterix

Guys, until this year I have swapped into a drysuit for the winter, but now I am reconsidering.  Do you think I'm kidding myself that I will be warm enough with a rooster race skin, classic hikers, thermaflex top and aqua fleece (plus boots hat and gloves of course)?

Last year i started wearing Rooster hot legs, hikers, Showa thermal gloves, GIll fleece hat, Rooster aqua fleece a Ripcurl thermal vest and a rash vest, on my feet i had my normal typhoon boots and a pair of rooster hotsox.  I was OK up until around the bloody mark, i then just added a wesuit into the mix.
ellistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Merlinboy

Showa thermal gloves

Great gloves. I've been wearing them all summer too. Nice and soft on my delicate IT hands.

Edited by ellistine - 30 Sep 10 at 4:44pm
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by alstorer

I have to admit, I take one look at those guys (whilst wearing a snug 5/3, sometimes with Gul Evotherm long jons and top underneath, plus hikers plus spray top) and think "they must be mad". They are.

They may just have different metabolism to me.
I get cold quite easily.
Or I would if didn't have a drysuit.
Still sailing on the sea in a cheap wetsuit at the mo,
trouble comes in any event where you wait around for the race to start.

RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Jamie600

Well my suit-buying saga is still on-going - the 7mm was to restrictive, I've swapped it for a Ripcurl Fireskin 5/3, but I'm still not happy.

The suit fits fine except for my forearms which seem very tight, not so tight that my hands go red but there is a definate feeling that the blood supply is restricted.
I'm now trying to decide whether to send this one back (but swap for what, as a bigger suit will be too big on the rest of me) or gamble that it will stretch with use but if it doesn't, I'm stuck with it.

Tight arms will be very tiring I think.
I prefer a convertible suit with removable arms, maybe you can get one of these and switch the arms for bigger?
Go to a good multibrand retailer-Andark is good around here, and try on different makes.
If you want a really warm suit, consider adding a thin neo vest and shorts to a standard suit, or a warm spray top.
Ultimately a drysuit will keep you warm in the worst windchill conditions, with the right stuff under it.
But some people don't seem to need as much warmth as I do. I'd rather sweat in a drybag and shower after, than even think about getting cold.
Try Pacer Marine for drysuits, but IMHO, you have to try them on, as some seem to be funny shapes-Crewsaver ones do not fit me in any size!
Corby2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Corby2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 4:48pm
Hi! Just come across your post and you could try the Rip Curl E-Bomb? I recently got one at my local surf shop in Abersoch for £189. They are selling them online too http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk - Does anyone else surf on this forum? The waves were fantastic over the weekend! 
The only way is up!
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 10 at 11:15pm
Quick update. First sail with the Neil Pryde suit and it was fantastic! Definately recommend it. Very flexible and warm but not tooo warm. 
RS600 988
Corby2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Corby2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 10 at 3:12pm
Great! The Rip Curl E-Bomb has been working a treat for me. Hoping to get in for a surf this weekend. 
The only way is up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>